To dig or not to dig, that is the question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Artisan

Reaction score
Gents I learned plumbing old school.
I would like to think I have 1/2 a clue about plumbing being union trained and pushing 45 years in the trade.
I remember a Los Angeles inspector named Barry Shoeman making me rip out a ground work I did
for a floor sink as a young pup. I had line vented a floor sink. Meaning I ran a 2" horizontal drain, installed a 2" yee on a 45 for the vent then the trap arm, vs a long sweep looking up w/ a san tee. He asked why I did it and I said "It is legal" to wit he said TEAR IT OUT, DIG IT UP AND PLUMB IT CONVENTIONAL and he walked away. I did it.

To this day, if it CAN be dug up I do it.

My question is, is there a code that says you must plumb in a conventional
manner if possible and you can NOT horizontal wet vent or line vent if it
is possible to do it conventionally?

TIA!

Artisan

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I have been doing plumbing for well over 50 years and the only "Wet vent" was used for an acid waste system as other then duriron no other type of piping would work

Artisan

Reaction score
I have been doing plumbing for well over 50 years and the only "Wet vent" was used for an acid waste system as other then duriron no other type of piping would work

SYLVAN! Long time no banter. Hows Jerry? I have done Duriron in the past too.
I am still hoping for code language hat says you HAVE to do it right before
you can cut corners...I do not think I will find it.

Artisan

Reaction score
...and I agree HJ, but that does not awnser the question.
Let me ask the same question differently.

Lets say I build a beautiful code legal Combination waste and vent system
in a meat processing plant. I have 4" traps for 2" floor sinks and 4" mains
and all is good, BUT, I could have plumbed it in a "typical" fashion w/
perhaps a 2" long sweep riser and a san tee to the trap and VTR.

Is there a code section that says I must do it one way before I do it another?
Both are legal...

Like perhaps does it say someplace something like "You can only install
a combination waste and vent system w/ administrative authority approval
or when conditions are such that it has to be done.

Artisan

Reaction score
OK, here is the official word...

snip;

"This is the response to your request for clarification on the Uniform Plumbing Code. The question(s) considered was (were):

Is there a code section that says that requires a DWV system to be continuous vented where possible vs wet or line venting?

Comment:

I have a client who is pretty much demanding I do a shallow job ground-work so he does not have to dig deep.
The job can be done by digging deep and using a long sweep looking up w/a santee vs a wye laying on its side on a 45 for the vent.

The UPC Answers & Analysis Committee answered as follows:

Section 905.3 of the 2015 Uniform Plumbing Code states, “Unless prohibited by structural conditions, each vent shall rise vertically to a point not less than 6 inches above the flood-level rim of the fixture served before offsetting horizontally…”. This section infers that continuous venting is the preferred method. Structural conditions, which would include the inability to dig groundworks to a depth that would permit continuous venting, due to the depth of the sanitary sewer main or private sewage disposal system, would then permit the use of horizontal venting as prescribed in Section 905.2. Vertical and horizontal wet venting is always permitted when the configuration of the piping system meets applicable requirements found in the code.

snip.

So I learned that by UPC Code horizontal venting is only allowed when structural
conditions prevent continuous venting and horizontal and vertical wet venting
is always allowed.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
SYLVAN! Long time no banter. Hows Jerry? I have done Duriron in the past too.
I am still hoping for code language hat says you HAVE to do it right before
you can cut corners...I do not think I will find it.

Jerry is doing great and I am about to take another 8 hr CEU class after July

I hired a guy almost 2 years ago and put him on a yearly salary of $150,000 which includes working nights and weekends as needed

It was a real pain figuring OT and regular time so I asked he would consider a management position instead of an hourly rate

Hopefully he will get his citizenship papers and pass the journeyman test

I found it impossible to find American born college grads that will actually work so I looked for Europeans and lucked out

I also bought out another company for fire sprinklers and standpipes as I have a master fire suppression piping license

For the past several decades I have been working as an expert witness for 37+ personal injury law firms including some out of state

I have no plans on retiring as I love luxury buying cars and driving to the job sites in coveralls stepping out of either the Lexus or BMW and looking at the GC's expression

Just bought a BMW 750 I with X drive and have a Lexus 460 L AWD so I may as well keep on trucking

Attachments

• 100_1434.JPG
    100_1434.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 279

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The Lexus is a lot more user friendly not as complex with the electronics

Attachments

• 100_1425.JPG
    100_1425.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 279
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks