To check valve or not to check valve?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by gokorn1, Oct 10, 2018.

1. gokorn1

gokorn1 New Member

I'm replacing my well pump and there was not a check valve on pipe from the pump to the pitless. Pipe is approx 20ft long. Well depth is 40ft. I had an issue where the pump was running all the time. When the power was shut off the pressure would drop to 0 instantly. Replaced the pitless adapter oring and pump. However i did not see a check valve, I was wondering if one is required. I'll be finishing the installation tonight after work. The only reason I don't think one is required is I saw a info board at Lowes that said place one every 100ft. I know thats not the best place for information but thats all i can find.

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Most submersible pumps have a built-in check valve, but you can add another right above the pump. Don't put one in up higher.

You should lightly lube the o-ring with silicone grease.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    gokorn1 likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

gokorn1 likes this.
  4. gokorn1

gokorn1 New Member

Thank you thats what I was hoping to hear. I've got some good grease from water store.