Tips on using SS vs brass...?

Users who are viewing this thread

JoeJee

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
I have almost always used brass when possible but have found most of my plumbing supply stores don’t keep it anymore. If they do it is the cheap stuff out of China and doesn’t seat well. With that I have started to use more Stainless steel fittings and am ending up with leaks. I generally use tape and dope but sometimes just dope. Had a corner and ended up with multiple leaks, took it apart and tightened the corner and still had leaks. I couldn’t tighten the silly thing any more the third go around so I found a way to do the corner in PEX (takes up a bunch more room) but didn’t leak. I have also had problems with SS unions.

Gsmith22

Reaction score
In addition to what James said, SS will tend to gall when tightened against itself using typical tape and dope. There are special nickel rich tapes and dopes specifically made for stainless fittings. even though common tapes and dopes say they work for SS (they don't), go search out the nickel based stuff - both tape and dope with the nickel are commonly grey. One type of dope is called "grey magic". Not sure about a specific tape. Just make sure both indicate they are nickel based.

I have read the galling comes from the oxidation layer being rubbed off as you tighten getting in the way of proper sealing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks