Tips for installing pipe insulation on PEX

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevin121

Reaction score
I am thinking of installing foam insulation around one of my PEX hot water lines that has to travel quite a ways from the water heater to the Kitchen faucet (~100 feet) to help keep it insulated a little better. The problem is that the PEX is attached tightly to the floor joists above, running both perpendicular and parallel to the joists (see pictures).

I am wondering if there are any tips for installing this? Should I pull the pipe hangers out one section at a time, and flip the foam insulation over it and then re-install, or how can you slip it over with it being positioned right on the wood?

2022-02-15 19_25_20-IMG_20220214_185433710.jpg ‎- Photos.jpg

2022-02-15 19_24_12-IMG_20220214_185353582.jpg ‎- Photos.jpg

Kevin121

Reaction score
Trying to revive this. Are there larger pipe clamps/supports that could go over both the insulation and pipe? That would allow me to install entire lengths of insulation without having to cut it at every clamp and make installation easier. I see 1-1/4" metal pipe straps but not sure how the metal would be used with PEX. What is the best option where the pipe is running tight with the joist?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Remove the current Talon clamp. Insulate tubing with as thick of insulation as you can. Install 2 hole pipe strap over the insulated tube.

Dustbunny

Reaction score
There are lots of different types and sizes of plastic pipe clamps. Many have just one nail/screw attachment. They come made to hold the pipe off the wall different amounts.

I'd be looking for a 1" or 1 1/4" pipe clamp to go right around the insulation. They cost more.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks