Tiny gas leak. What should I do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nanas

Reaction score
I recently had an inspection done on a home I am selling. The inspector said there was a pin hole size leak in the gas line going to the furnace or hot water heater ( not sure which - lol ) . He put tape on it to show me where the leak is. Do I have to call a plumber or heating guy ?? Is there anything I can do to fix it ??

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
You should be smelling gas so open all windows of the home. If you can’t get a plumber there call the gas company and they can shut the gas off and perform a sniffer test for gas And should leave the home. Just more proof most home inspectors cannot be trusted.

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
, I was in court testifying against a home owner and a plumbing contractor as the home owner called a local plumber about a "tiny gas leak"

The plumber said he would be over in an hour or so and the home owner decided to make some repairs thinking if anything would go wrong the plumber would be there in a while

As luck would have it the owner created a bigger leak and left the house and went to a neighbors and then called the plumber and said can you come over sooner then an hour failing to mention he busted a pipe not knowing about left and right nipples and couplings

The plumber sent a "tech" over who rang the door bell and the tiny spark caused an explosion and the Tech was killed

The family of the tech hired a law firm who hired me to sue for wrongful death action

I stated the following

1- In case of the smell of gas OPEN WINDOWS and then call a licensed plumber or the local utility

2- If the plumbers employee is NOT a licensed journeyman or has formal training they should not be working on gas piping

3- Giving advice on how to locate a gas leak is an easy lawsuit to get compensated for when someone is overcomes by gas or gets hurt of killed in explosion

They be out there giving inept advice and thankfully there are personal injury attorneys willing to get the proper compensation to those who were placed in harms way by someone saying "use soapy water or a match"

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Even though this forum is for discussing plumbing solutions, gas is one thing that I don't like to comment on other than to say that it can be very dangerous. I don't mind talking about sizing, or what you should install, but I'm very hesitant about encouraging anyone without plumbing knowledge to tackle some of these things.

For example: I once picked up a motor home from the dealer that had worked on the propane gas. I was supposed to sleep in it that night at my father-in-laws. I told the dealer I could smell gas. He laughed and told me it was fine. I drove the short distance to my FIL's home and explained to them there was a gas leak, and nobody was sleeping in the motor home that night. They also laughed and proceeded to light up burners on the stove to "prove" to me that I was wrong. As I was backing out of the door, they dropped the oven door down and BOOM!!! Flames went past my brother in law in a big explosion. I went to the outside faucet and hooked the hose up to put out the fire. $6,000 worth of damage to the motor home in seconds. My brother in laws hair went from straight to curly with one blast of the explosion. How much fun!

motor-home-burnt-up-01.jpg

I saw this on the side of the road in Oregon. 2020

motor-home-burnt-up-02.jpg

At least my my father-in-laws, I was able to put the fire out with a garden hose.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I had an old stove oven go up in my face when renting a flat in Schenectady, NY. It was a beautiful spring day and all the windows were opened. It was an old oven without a pilot light and I thought I had light it. Never smelled gas, nor did my wife. As I lighted a top burner, boom, threw me across the room and a quick trip to the emergency room. One eye had swelled, third degree burn on my arm that blocked the flame from my face. The landlord replaced gas range that week. When Sylvan comments came up I knew I was wrong so I changed my comments.

Jacobsond

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.nielsenelectric.com
This gets me thinking. Shouldn't everyone know how to shut off the gas,water and electricity on their property in case of emergency. The time it takes for the professional to get there is measured in quarter hours or more. The time it takes to avoid severe damage or tragedy is less than that. Smell gas go outside shut it off. Gas meters can be locked off not on. Spring a water leak shut the main water valve off. Electrical issues. Main breaker in the panel. Then call the professional after you have contained the emergency.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I had an old stove oven go up in my face when renting a flat in Schenectady, NY. It was a beautiful spring day and all the windows were opened. It was an old oven without a pilot light and I thought I had light it. Never smelled gas, nor did my wife. As I lighted a top burner, boom, threw me across the room and a quick trip to the emergency room. One eye had swelled, third degree burn on my arm that blocked the flame from my face. The landlord replaced gas range that week. When Sylvan comments came up I knew I was wrong so I changed my comments.

This is really a deja vu Speaking about "Schenectady" last week a lawyer called and asked me if I would go to Schenectady regarding

"water infiltration from a plumbers installations of roof drains and the roofer was also being sued and he hie hired the lawyer " I went to MapQuest and told the lawyer I would be charging him 8 hours for because of traveling time and writing my reports after inspections

The lawyer said "I dont think I should pay for non productive time" I said ARE YOU CRAZY driving from point A to point B and Back fro B to A is productive as Air lines and Taxi cabs do it all the time

He called yesterday saying ok he will hire me I said good I do not want to ewer for you.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The gas sniffers can detect VERY low concentrations of natural gas. With the typical air exchange in an older home, it may never reach a level where it becomes a combustible concentration. That does not mean that you should not get it fixed! It could go from an annoyance to a catastrophe if you muck with it very quickly.

By far, the safest thing is to leave the building and call for professional help. It could save your life and the building.

FWIW, if a main gas shutoff has not been operated for long periods of time, it may not fully close, even if you turn it off. The inline valves used for appliances or branches tend to work. Also, once you shut the main off at the meter, you may need a special tool to turn it back on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks