Tiny bubbles in toilet and an AAV

Users who are viewing this thread

Squeak

Reaction score
I have inherited a DIY basement bathroom that has a shower, a toilet and a pedestal sink. Thankfully I have some pictures and descriptions that help explain how it was plumbed before the concrete when back over.

My question: Could a studor vent buried in a wall cavity, with no other airflow, cause for tiny bubbles to show up in the toilet bowl an hour or so after flushing?

No big air bubbles, no gurggles, no real problem draining from any of the pieces. No odors that I can detect when walking in the bathroom. Shower water trap stays without any issues.

More info: shower connects into a branch of a tee with the other side hooked to an ell to a vertical stub that extends up into wall cavity. Sink drains into this stub about 18" off the ground, and then the stub extends up to a total height of 40" where the Studor is placed.

The shower/sink branch then connect into a 3" waste line downstream of the toilet. This 3" line then goes underground to where it connects to the main waste line of the house at a wye. Basement bathroom is branch "A", whereas branch "B" travels to other part of basement where main stack and vent is.

Given this description, and what pictures I have seen, it appears that this is all ok, from a common sense plumbing perspective.

The only thing I think that might be missing is for any real airflow to get to the AAV. Obviously a simple solution is to put a grate up high in that same cavity space, but before I cut a hole, I wanted to see if there is even the possibility that this would fix the problem.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
An AAV is a one-way air valve...it will only let air in. THe drain pipe needs to be connected somewhere to an atmospheric vent to allow air out, if there's a pressure wave created during use. I would be very surprised if the wall cavity was tight enough to prevent enough air to get in, if required, so no grate is required. Plumbing code does require there to be access to the AAV, as they do eventually fail, plus, an access plate makes it easier to find in the wall, too.

Squeak

Reaction score
An AAV is a one-way air valve...it will only let air in. THe drain pipe needs to be connected somewhere to an atmospheric vent to allow air out, if there's a pressure wave created during use. I would be very surprised if the wall cavity was tight enough to prevent enough air to get in, if required, so no grate is required. Plumbing code does require there to be access to the AAV, as they do eventually fail, plus, an access plate makes it easier to find in the wall, too.

As mentioned, the whole branch for the basement bathroom is connected right before leaving the house to another branch that connects to another part of the basement where their is the main stack, and a vent that comes up through the roof. Does that count as being "connected somewhere to an atmospheric vent"?

Thankfully I know exactly where the vent is located (have pictures of exact location), and cutting in an access panel will be no issues, when the time is right to replace it.

So, this would not be the cause of the tiny air bubbles?

Reach4

Reaction score
No big air bubbles, no gurggles, no real problem draining from any of the pieces. No odors that I can detect when walking in the bathroom. Shower water trap stays without any issues.
I suggest you be happy, and find other things to worry about.

I don't know the source of the bubbles. Do you have a well? Backwashing filter?

Squeak

Reaction score
Do you have a well? Backwashing filter?

City water/sewer. The only toilet of 4 in the house that does this.

I suggest you be happy, and find other things to worry about.

Ha! If they are not indicative of some other larger problem, then I am MORE than happy to let it slide! :D I was just worried that something else larger was at play here.

I will move on, gladly! (Now, if i can just figure out why after 12 years I am just starting now to see mold in my shower grout....)

Squeak

Reaction score
Well, thought I would try one more time and see if I can find a resolution to this.

Here are what the bubbles look like in my tank:

IMG_3044.JPG
IMG_3045.JPG

I have replaced both the flapper, as well as the fill valve (was time to do it anyways), but has not solved the problem. I have also cut open a hole in the wall of the same cavity the AAV is in, and put a grate on it, so there is no issues at all with air flow.

Toilet flushes fine. Sink drains fine. Shower keeps water in its trap (but will move ever so slightly after a toilet flush).

Any sense of why these show up, and is it something to be concerned about?

Reaction score
Interesting. Any idea why only this toilet? Because it is below grade?
It's dissolved gas nucleation as explained in #7.

Same reason why bubbles appear inside a glass of tap water, long after the water has been poured. This does not happen with boiled or some filtered water. The AAV is not adding these gases to the water supply.

Some surfaces gives better nucleation results than others, usually glossy non-pourous surfaces.

a studor vent buried in a wall cavity
I don't like AAVs that can't be seen or hidden in attics.

AAVs do have their merits, but need to be in places you can keep an eye on and replace easily when they eventually fail.

There are inset vent boxes made for AAVs.
recessed-fire-rated-vent-box.jpg

Last edited:

Squeak

Reaction score
I don't like AAVs that can't be seen or hidden in attics.

AAVs do have their merits, but need to be in places you can keep an eye on and replace easily when they eventually fail.

There are inset vent boxes made for AAVs.
recessed-fire-rated-vent-box.jpg

Yeah, I don't love it either. Thankfully, I know exactly where it is at, and when the time comes to replace it, will put in something very similar to what you mention. No reason cutting open the drywall prematurely.

Which actually leads to a question that I never can seem to find an answer for: how do you know when an AAV fails? Everyone talks about "eventual failure", but what does that look like? How do you know?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Which actually leads to a question that I never can seem to find an answer for: how do you know when an AAV fails? Everyone talks about "eventual failure", but what does that look like? How do you know?
The purposes of an AAV are
1. to admit air to keep the traps from drying out due to a siphon effect. A dry trap lets gasses and smells come from the drain system.
2. to prevent gases and smells from coming out of the drains via the AAV itself, bypassing the traps.

If you saw that those purposes were not being achieved, that would point you to a bad AAV. A young nose will normally be more sensitive.

Reaction score
how do you know when an AAV fails?
You put your nose up to it smell. The stench will be obvious.

I've installed many, I always put them in spots where the client can check as often as they want and change their own. For most installs, it is under the sink in the cabinet. If not, then the inset box comes handy.

I actually have one in my kitchen as a temporary measure while I get my roof re-done. I check mine religiously each week. I can't imagine spending 15 minutes each time to get the ladder to crawl into my attic. Wow I am so glad I can check the kitchen one each time I grab the coffee. But I guess you feel it is ok for you to crawl into your attice often.

Squeak

Reaction score
I actually have one in my kitchen as a temporary measure while I get my roof re-done. I check mine religiously each week. I can't imagine spending 15 minutes each time to get the ladder to crawl into my attic. Wow I am so glad I can check the kitchen one each time I grab the coffee. But I guess you feel it is ok for you to crawl into your attice often.

I am not sure if this was directed at me or not, but my AAV is not located in the attic. It is 42" off my basement floor, buried in the wall cavity directly behind the toilet. I do have an opening in that same cavity right below the ceiling to let air flow in (and I guess also "smell" out if it ever does fail). When the time comes, I will cut in a panel opening to allow for change out of the AAV.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks