Time to replace PVC in the house?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYer101

Reaction score
I'm wondering if/when it's time to replace the PVC in my house (from the main house supply to the manifold).

No idea how old the sprinkler system is (10+ years?) but I had to repair some broken parts at the manifold, and I found that the PVC they used is thinner than the Sched. 40 PVC I used. It "bends" when I use a pipe cutting tool - and I don't know if that cutting/bending causes more damage or not...

The crawlspace where the tubing runs is higher than my basement, so if there was a problem in there, it would flood the basement.

Do we just redo everything, or is that "soft" PVC ok for decades? What would you think or tell your (overly-worried) customers?

Thank you!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
NO PVC is "okay" indoors and it is banned by every code I know of, and that even applies to the heavier sch. 40 and 80, so your 'irrigation" grade pipe would NEVER have been approved in the first place.

DIYer101

Reaction score
Well that's good to know - thank you. I think I'll have a plumber come re-do the connection to the main line. To save him some time, I'd like to run pipe most of the rest of the way.

A bit of searching suggests that PEX might be cost-effective and relatively easy for me to do... Can I get a long length of PEX and string that along the crawlspace, or do I need to use something else (copper)?

When/where do we connect the PEX to the PVC outdoors -- just outside the foundation wall (I assume I don't convert to PVC inside the crawlspace)?

Thanks again!

DIYer101

Reaction score
I should add I'm at 5700 feet in Colorado with freezing in the spring/fall. I realize I'll have to be careful, but just in case that matters...

The crawl space does not get below freezing.

Thanks again.

DIYer101

Reaction score
Also, the water meter is inside the basement as well. Here's a picture of the existing setup. The main house supply line comes up from the floor. The sprinkler line heads off to the right.
sprinkler.JPG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks