Time to replace or what ?? LP power vent water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Bbqscotty

Reaction score
I have a John Wood power vent 40 gallon LP hot water tank that is going on about 22 years now.
I have no leaks have never drained it and only signs are some rust on the top of tank.
I am afraid to drain now since i have gone so long anyways, i have very good weel water with no calcium or lime crap or sulfur.
Seems like it is up there in its years and maybe should be replaced, but it still works.....
advice??? and what is a good brand that would provide same type of years of service again ?

Reach4

Reaction score
I would drain and flush the existing WH. At the simplest, drain, turn on the water full for a few seconds to raise turbulence, drain, repeat until nothing but water comes out. For more flow during the flush, you can temporarily replace the drain with a 3/4 NPT nipple if you can deal with the water.

I think you might get ten more years out of your old WH, and a decade out of a new one.

I would also "test" the temperature and pressure valve, since some with age will fail to close back up. If you are there to turn off the water while you attend to getting a replacement would be better than having the water come out a random time. It is probable that the T+P valve will close on its own as it should, but it is worth a test.

Bbqscotty

Reaction score
i opened drain valve and maybe 8oz of brown water came out, then clear after about 1 gallon i closed.
what are signs you need to replace ? i have temp set at the red mark at beginning of hot on tank and temp out of faucet is like 140 degrees.

Reach4

Reaction score
i opened drain valve and maybe 8oz of brown water came out, then clear after about 1 gallon i closed.
what are signs you need to replace ?
For me, it is a leak.
For many others, it is a leak or is older than x, where x might be 10 years for some.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
if you have a 22 year old power vent water heater I would suggest you go out and buy a Rheem power vent
and do the 50 gallon unit.... The older models used to have the fan installed on the outside of the home and used
metal pipe to run the vent with...
and I dont know wether your unit is that old or not....

Your efficiency has probably crashed on tha tolder unit with scale deposits inside it and
it would just be wider to change it out at your convienance instead of waiting till it blows out on you

call a plumber

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
To some extent the longevity of the water heater is a function of how much water has moved through it, and the quality/corrosiveness of that water. A single person who only takes GI showers could probably go 50+ years with a propane fired tank, a family of 5 that takes daily tubbies (unshared :) ) may not last 10.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks