Time to hot water and how to improve behavior with small volumes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, the CDC says it takes at least 20-seconds of hand washing to actually accomplish that task well.

I'm quite happy with my recirculation system, but I have a tank. Not all tankless systems can use a recirculation system without tweaks or voiding their warranty. A small in-line water heater near your points of use can help with providing hot water while the tankless can fire up and purge the lines. It's an additional cost and complexity to the system.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are you thinking of that second tankless instead of a small point of use tank?

FWIW, 27Kw = about 92K BTU. Plus, do you really have that much excess capacity on your existing power panel? That's a huge load...in fact, more than my whole condo's panel capacity. The beauty of a small tank, or any tank for that matter, is that it generally has lots of time to heat the water in between uses. A tankless doesn't have that luxury...it must do it all 'instantly'.

A 112A load needs a supply that can handle probably 125% of that, or about a 150A circuit breaker and the requisite wiring (the wire for this will not be cheap, either!).

IMHO, electric tankless systems are not viable for most situations. FWIW, a typical tankless system is over twice that capacity, or in the 200K BTU range.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I didn't read the whole thread. ....You could try removing the faucet aerator and see how long it take the warm water to get there. If that speeds things up to a reasonable amount of time, you could get a less restrictive aerator. Sometimes you can take them apart and remove the most restrictive sections. That would flush the cold water out faster .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks