Time / Distance tankless water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Mar3232

Reaction score
Is there a formula for determining time / distance to receive hot water form a tankless water heater using 1/2" copper pipe? Would really like to install one just to supply 2 sinks.

Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
100 ft of type L copper pipe holds 1.21 gallons (http://www.hotwaterproducts.com/service/pipevolumecalculator.html). If your faucet at the sink flows 1.21 gpm, it would take 60 seconds for the water to get from the water heater to the faucet. 10 feet would take about 6 seconds.

Add to that the reaction time for the tankless WH to recognize the flow and to get the output water hot.

There are recirculation systems available to keep the water in the pipe hot, but only a few tankless WHs work well with those.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
plus the heat loss to heat the pipe up as the water flows through it. And the time is independent of whether it is a tank type or tankless heater.

Reach4

Reaction score
I followed your link. The smallest in the table said 3000 watts. If there is a 1400 watt unit, it would only give about a 15F temperature rise at low flow. They do look like interesting units.

If you are going to run wire anyway, running 240 makes sense to me.

Mar3232

Reaction score
240 is no problem -- just kind of leary about those -- good and bad reviews but hell of a deal, one day only.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks