Tiling floor - help

Users who are viewing this thread

HDFAN1

Reaction score
OK, I just read the post about tiling under the flange. I am remodeling and putting in tile, on a cement slab floor, and this old house does not have pvc, it has the lead bend. Don't think I can do anything with it.

Sooo, am I going to have problems when I try to install my new ultramax toilets over these old flanges? Friends have told me to just tile up to the flange and not worry about it. They know about as much about plumbing as me, which is squat, so I am asking you experts for advice.

I don't know if this matters, but the tile I am going to use is a 1/4 inch thick porcelain tile.

This whole remodel deal is startin to get on my nerves.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
i think you already know the answers, from reading again and again the various threads.

on the one hand, and on the other hand... you could use a thicker wax ring or a waxless ring...

A thin tile doesn't raise the floor as much as a thick tile, and besides, I'm pretty sure there was some other floor covering like vinyl or lino before, wasnt't there? So when you factor it all in, the new floor will be __ millimeters or __ times 1/16th" higher level than before. Do the math and see how much new height you have.

david

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can tile around the flange and use enough wax to seal with .
If the flange is lower than the finished floor, you can use either two wax rings, a thick ring, or the Waxless seal.

Either way, it's going to be a happening thing.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
There's also a flange extender-spacer kit by Oatey.

Attachments

• Flange Extender Kit.jpg
    Flange Extender Kit.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 280

HDFAN1

Reaction score
Yes, there is an existing flange there.

Thanks Terry, I will try & make it work. I'm picking up two Ultramaxs Friday morning. Was gonna go with a one piece Kohler Cimarron in the "light duty" bathroom, but thought, what the heck. $75 more, and if this forum is right, no worries ever from either bathroom.

I'm really glad I found this Forum. lots of good info. here.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks