Tiling and shower height

Users who are viewing this thread

NotAfan

Reaction score
We have had our bathroom done recently. We decided on the tiled bath panel, it was supposed to be removable. When we saw the finished work the tile in the middle of the bath panel is a bit off and the grout is cracked. The company said they can change it and charge us again but for me its just not well done job, am I too pedantic?
Also, being tall family, we would like to put our shower head higher up but it will be close to the ceiling, which will cancel the guarantee. What
damage can happen? Shall we risk it?

IMG_20220606_122526.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The panel could likely be fixed by replacing grout with a color matched caulking. I've heard of people placing dental floss/string behind the caulk so that when its pulled, the string cuts the grout/caulk to help remove the panel.

I thought all showers in Europe were designed for the average height European of the 14th century?

Its hard to say if it would void your warranty or anything about it because you didn't describe it or provide a photo. And what is involved depends on how you tackle the problem. From the tile side or the backside.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not that up on accepted practices in the UK. Cracking grout is usually the result of one of three issues:
- movement - improperly prepared walls in this case, or maybe minimal adhesive coverage, regardless of the type
- improperly mixed grout (if it's mixed too wet, it tends to shrink and crack but it's easier to apply!)
- grout that is out of date (usually they have a 'use by' date of around a year from manufacture), or improperly stored

At least in the USA, anything below the height of the showerhead is not considered a wet area, so having the head higher up, as long as your water repellant surfaces are still above the head, shouldn't be an issue. What I opted for was to use a handheld attached to a bar so the height could be adjusted for different people. Mine goes up so the head is at the ceiling, and down to where a toddler could still reach it if they were old enough to take a shower by themselves.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks