Tile shower pan

Users who are viewing this thread

RobertaPF

Reaction score
We are remodeling our bathroom and replacing the fiberglass shower with tile. We want to do a tile shower pan. We have heard of some different methods of doing the shower pan, including Quick-Pitch. As anyone used this product? Thanks

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
ho hum

screed strips is all it appears to be. Tell me if it's more than that.

They don't say what material they lay down on the newly sloped base that these screed strips help build, to ensure that water under the grout goes into the drain and not into the building. Let me know what you find out.

Some of the other information in their web site is outdated. They compare their method to shower liners laid flat on the subfloor on which people used to build a sloped base for tiling. That method has been on its way out for a while now. Made of a flexible rubbery material, it often gets laid flat, but that is not the right way; laying it flat (level) lets moisture stay in the shower pan under the tiles instead of moving to the drain weep holes. Laying it on the curves (slopes) created by several plates sloped like an inverted cone to the center is more difficult, but necessary.

Building a slope first, prior to waterproofing the shower base, is standard for many people; it's even in the plumbing code although a lot of people can't see it. Then, to waterproof it (ensure a waterproof liner on top of a sloped base and not underneath it), there already are four other ways that work well too: tar, liquid-trowelable goo, Kerdi, and Wedi seamed with Bostik.

Summary: you need a sloped "membrane", a waterproofing liner that ends up sloped towards the drain when all is said and done. That is in the plumbing code; it's not rocket science; it's not news. There are at least five different methods of waterproofing shower pans, that all work well and that all need to be on a sloped base, not a level base.

david

Last edited:

SeriousDIYer

Reaction score
I built my own shower with a tile floor. I visited this web site to help me build the pan. It is great info. Hopefully it will help.

http://www.ontariotile.com/preslope.html

I have had no problems with the pan at all. I do suggest that you have a great deal of patience and about a week to build the pan though. A lot of set time for mortar and such.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks