Tile setter did not flood test?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tex13

Reaction score
I hired a CTI to remodel my bathrooms. He installed a schluter shower system, but did not flood test. He has installed the floor & part of the walls. I posted pics on fb, and peopled asked about the low curb & flood test. So I asked him about it, he says he never flood tests, but he would do it yesterday (Monday ), but he did not do it.
Is there a way to check for leaks w partial floor? Should I fire this guy?
Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Lots of people don't flood test. It's not right, and if you have a building permit, one would typically be required. To some, a permit and inspections are a money raising scheme by bureaucrats, but it should be a protection for the consumer.

If the thinset has had a chance to cure at least 24-hours, you can still do a flood test. It's a little tougher, since there will be a little absorbed into the thinset (and maybe tile, depending on the type). But, you still should not see the level drop or visible signs of water outside of the shower.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the guy tells you he would do something, then doesn't do it...that's ground for firing.

Did you ask him why he didn't do what he said he would do?

Don't forget who's paying whom.

Tex13

Reaction score
Thank you for responding.
This contractor has been a pain, he still claims to be waiting on supplies to do the flood test. I was unaware a permit was needed, until after the shower was constructed.
Neither contractor pulled a permit. I fired the 1st contractor, and I thought this guy was good, he is a certified tile installer. I'm worried that a new contractor will not want to work w the existing substrate.
If I call code enforcement will I get in trouble because of the lack of a permit?
I'm not paying until I am convinced the shower does not leak.

Lots of people don't flood test. It's not right, and if you have a building permit, one would typically be required. To some, a permit and inspections are a money raising scheme by bureaucrats, but it should be a protection for the consumer.

If the thinset has had a chance to cure at least 24-hours, you can still do a flood test. It's a little tougher, since there will be a little absorbed into the thinset (and maybe tile, depending on the type). But, you still should not see the level drop or visible signs of water outside of the shower.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your bldg dept will issue you a permit with no problems. Your inspector may require you to expose things that are covered, he will want to make sure that certain things were done to code, and that could be costly.

In the long run, if you put your house on the market, having things done to code is a good selling point, while having no permit could be a 'bad thing'.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The requirement for a building permit and inspections varies in different parts of the country, and the extent of the modifications/additions you are doing whether they are required or not. Generally, building something like a shower would require a building permit, even if it is replacing an existing one. Some rural places don't always have a local building department, but then the state rules would apply, and all states require building permits, based on their set of rules. You can usually research that online before you decide.

The permit and inspections does add to the cost of the project. While some inspectors are rubber stamps, a lot of them actually do care about doing things right, and are your ally, should there be a problem with the build process. Note, they only enforce to the minimums, and you may want higher, and it doesn't look at the aesthetics, only the functionality of the project.

It's sad, but some studies have shown that 70-80% of tiled showers are not done according to industry standards. Doing it for a long time is not a guarantee it is being done well....some people just don't care, but there are a lot of people that just don't know! Some failures in a shower are evident nearly immediately, some can take years to show up, usually long after the typical 1-year warranty most people offer. Some just think it's normal, and that is supported by the quantity that aren't done properly. A properly built shower should last without issues until you decide to remodel, not because it failed. Modern materials should last essentially, forever.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks