Tile Ready shower pan

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I’ve not used one. I hang out at www.Johnbridge.com, and the general consensus there is they’d rather make their own out of deck mud. If you join, check out the pro side of the forum and ask there. Lots of tiling pros participate there. The hassle with any of the remade pans is there’s no flexibility on the exact location of the drain and the floor must be quite flat and level, or you have to make it that way first before you can install one. Under the right conditions, it could save some time, but it depends, as, if you’re good with deck mud, that is really pretty quick, too.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm just the plumber, so that aspect seems easy for me to do. This contractor will provide me with a level floor prior to install, all I have to do is set a pan. Whether the tile installer likes the product is another ball of wax.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We set this pan today... 3 -- 55 pound bags of mortar under this thing..

We mixed the mud to a milkshake consistency that could slump up more than the height we needed then troweled it down to fit the slope of the underside. The instructions were a bit wonky in my opinion. They state to measure the depth of the valley at the deepest point and place mud under the pan at that height.. but the valleys all slope so we would have had way too much at the drain end.. plus the drain was flat and flush with the bottom of the pan so I scraped almost all the mud from that section giving it some to squish out so it still made full contact. The pan itself weighs around 20 pounds.

And it turns out the homeowner is self performing the tile installation, so...

Milkshake consistency mud almost 2" thick.
Tile Ready pan mud.jpg

Pan is showing some heat from the mud starting to cure. Almost 10° after just a few minutes
Tile Ready pan.jpg

Finished product
Tile Ready Pan done.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
WHen you mix mud that wet, it tends to shrink and crack when it cures. Good luck.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
WHen you mix mud that wet, it tends to shrink and crack when it cures. Good luck.

I think ours was slightly less wet than the instruction video.. I can see I forgot to scrape/slosh the mud away from the perimeter .. it was hard to get that pan to set all the way on the floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks