Tile-In Bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some websites get purged by this forum...so, your link is useless. you can link to a manufacturer, though.

Does this tub have a tiling flange, or is it designed as a drop-in, platform use? Some drop-in tubs have a glue on tile flange accessory, but one built into the tub is better. Once that is known, the approach to waterproof becomes easier to navigate.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you go to the website of the manufacturer of the tub, you should be able to find detailed installation instructions.

DougB

Reaction score
After a little more Googling, I've found "Drop In Bathtub". The installation has to be waterproof, because it will also have a shower.

Someone else said get one with a tile flange.

First, I haven't been able to locate a drop in tub with a flange. I want a regular tub, not a jacuzi.

Toto has several drop in tubs - but their literature and installation instructions mention no details, except the tub should be level, and be supported by it's feet.

Any sources of drop in tubs / info would be appreciated!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A "drop in tub" which is also used as a shower has special installation requirements. It MUST be installed level with, or below, the tile deck, or water will accumulate between the tub's rim and the walls and then spill off onto the floor. This makes you job somewhat easier because you have to install the tub first, and then you can build up the tile to the proper level.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A tub designed to fit into an alcove will normally have a tiling flange built into it. These will also likely come as either left-handed or right-handed tubs since only one long side will be designed to be exposed. the 'handedness' refers to the end where the drain is.

Many of the manufacturers make an add-on tiling flange, and there are some aftermarket versions that may work okay. That junction between the tub and the wall MUST be made carefully on a drop-in tub, or you WILL have major problems down the road as caulk just doesn't last forever and water WILL penetrate and give you grief.

The same shape tub is often available in multiple ways: with water jets, with air jets, with water and air jets, with no jets. Jucuzzi is a brand name, like Kleenex or Scotch tape that has tanken on a generic use/meaning.

This is the only Toto tile-in tub I found without air or water jets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks