Tile backer for kitchen back splash?

Users who are viewing this thread

DTAZ

Reaction score
I am working on a kitchen remodel that will have extensive tile back splash. One wall has tile that runs from the counter top to the ceiling. I had been considering cement board in place of green board for the extra durability though I understand that it's not necessary. As an alternative DenseShield seems like a potential winner. Drywall properties with water proof upgrades. Any thoughts from folks with experience using the product? I know it is rated for use in showers and tub surrounds so back splash seems an easy leap.

Thanks in advance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Generally, a kitchen backsplash is not considered a wet area, and plain drywall should be fine. You can go with a cement board if you want, but I'd not use a moisture resistant drywall...the coating on the paper isn't the best for use with mortar based products. Now, if this was a commercial kitchen, that might be a different story, but most homeowners don't spray the kitchen down at the end of the day!

DTAZ

Reaction score
Generally, a kitchen backsplash is not considered a wet area, and plain drywall should be fine. You can go with a cement board if you want, but I'd not use a moisture resistant drywall...the coating on the paper isn't the best for use with mortar based products. Now, if this was a commercial kitchen, that might be a different story, but most homeowners don't spray the kitchen down at the end of the day!
Thanks for the reply. DenseShield is sold as a tile backer so I would hope that the paper works well with mortar products. I do think that it's probably overkill though.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Quote: "Generally, a kitchen backsplash is not considered a wet area..."

Unless Donald Duck is in the kitchen.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks