Tile an Access Panel??

Users who are viewing this thread

Newmantjn

Reaction score
Hi;
I have two bathrooms that are back to back. The access panel for the other shower is in the bathroom I am redoing. Per the picture below the shower in the other bathroom is in red, the proposed tile area in the new bathroom is in blue, the access panel area is in green.

The access panel is small, about 9" x 12" or so. It is located right at the floor.

I'm kind of wondering how to handle this:
1. Try to make an access panel and tile it to "fit in" (suggestions???)
2. Tile over the access panel it is very small, located right at the floor and only provides access to shut off valves, you couldn't actually service much from there anyway.
3. Stop the tile at the corner by the tub - this is how it was before.
4. Somehow make it a cleaver "feature" (suggestions??)
5. Something else you might think up??

Thanks for the help.

bathroom3.jpg

Newmantjn

Reaction score
To sort of make the whole process a little more fun, my wife thinks we need a subway tile layout. Sort of like bricks.

Reach4

Reaction score
How about an access panel covered by artwork, calendar, shelf with a back, etc?

Newmantjn

Reaction score
No need to be waterproof. In fact, there didn't used to even be tile in this area. It would only go about half way up the wall. I'll look into the schluter thing. The challenge with the picture you show is that the pattern would be like this

z_Storka_Overton_Derby_3x6_ALT1.jpg

Erico

Reaction score
I'm a big proponent of access panels when at all possible. If they make sense.

I have one in my walk in shower but have never needed it. It's behind a raised panel wall in the bedroom - held in by pin nails. Don't know if I would bother if it caused my tile work to not look right or caused me trouble.

What can you get at from an access panel you can't get at from the shower side?

Drain? Maybe. If you have a fiberglass pan.

Leaky pipe? Maybe. If you get lucky and the leak is accessible in the relatively small panel.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, nothing says the access panel needs to be a rectangle! You'd still want to use whole tile, though.

Newmantjn

Reaction score
FWIW, nothing says the access panel needs to be a rectangle! You'd still want to use whole tile, though.

Yes, I'm starting to think along those lines. I can probably make something magnetic work. It probably won't be perfect. The bad thing about that particular location is that people will spend a lot of time sitting and studying it, if you get my drift...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One suggestion I've heard people use, is to use the magnets, but then use grout colored caulk around the seam. It makes it harder to get inside since you have to cut through the caulk, but if you're lucky, that may not be for decades (assuming you remember it's there in the first place!).

Newmantjn

Reaction score
One suggestion I've heard people use, is to use the magnets, but then use grout colored caulk around the seam. It makes it harder to get inside since you have to cut through the caulk, but if you're lucky, that may not be for decades (assuming you remember it's there in the first place!).

I like that. May do something along those lines!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks