Tightening tank to bowl: Advice please

Users who are viewing this thread

Ron in SC

Reaction score
I brought a American Standard Cadet 3. Everything installed except tightening of tank to bowel. Directions say to tighten until tank just rests on bowl. I've tightened a fair amount and fasteners seem pretty tight. Do not want to overtighened and crack something. Gasket is installed between tank and bowl per directions, tried flipping the gasket the other way around and it would not work at all.

Photo shows the space between tank and bowl.

Attachments

• 000_0968.jpg
    000_0968.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 13,823

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't use wrenches on the nuts. Lean down on the tank slightly to compress the gasket. Spin the nut up by hand some. Do this in gradual steps, alternating one side and the other, until you are where you need to be.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
wrench

I cannot imagine tightening a tank properly without using a wrench. I use a 3/8" drive rachet but use minimal force when tightening the bolts. It is a judgement thing that you learn when it is enough.

Ron in SC

Reaction score
For whatever reason this tank could not be tightened as designed. I was able to tighten it so tight that the tank was on the bowl on only one side. I did tighten it incrementally but with no success. I must have tried tightening it a dozen times before I finally said ok that's enough. I returned it to Lowes.

I know the Cadet 3 are recommended by people on the board but I think that American Standard lacks a quality control department.

The other Cadet 3 that I returned to Lowes yesterday lacked glazing on part of the tank that was very visable with the tank cover in place. It also lacked a seat which was to be included. They did give me a seat but like I say I ended up returning it anyway because of the lack of glaze.

The same person handled my return yesterday handled the one today. I asked her if they get a lot of returns on American Standard and she said yes.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't recommend the Cadet 3, except in special circumstances.
They are a cheap, poorly made toilet with very little quality control.

Professional plumbers would do well to avoid them, if they intend to consistently operate with normal profit levels.

It's more for the homeowner looking to save a buck, that has time, time and time on their hands.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you read the whole thing, people say that that toilet works, but the QC is lousy...if you get a good one, no problem. The pros typically can't afford to take the time to sort out a good one from the lousy ones, so they shy away from them. If you want to play QC inspector and take multiple runs back to the store to find a good one, you may get a bargain if you don't value your time.

Ron in SC

Reaction score
I don't recommend the Cadet 3, except in special circumstances.

So would a Toto Drake be what I need to get. This bathroom is very tiny, only a toliet and a 32" x 32" shower and it's in my detached garage.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I know the Cadet 3 are recommended by people on the board but I think that American Standard lacks a quality control department.

The same person handled my return yesterday handled the one today. I asked her if they get a lot of returns on American Standard and she said yes.

No Kidding!

When I go and pick up a toilet and install it, I have to guarantee it.
If I have to do it twice or, return and do it again because the installed product is defective it's money out of my pocket!

When it happens too frequently with a given manufacturer they end up on my s**t list. Am. Std. has been on my s**t list a long time and has virtually no hope of getting off it! When a manufacturer is on my s**t list, I will not install their product if I provide it.

To get off my s**t list I'm going to have to install a lot of customer supplied Am. Std. fixtures with no defects and thats not happening as I see close to a 50% defective rate. I do not guarantee customer supplied fixtures so that is the only way I now install Am. Std. The only guarantee with customer supplied items is that I install them correctly. If they don't work I'll put in another at a price.

Did you know that I have never had a defective Toto Drake or, had a callback on one yet?

Last edited:

crmoores

Reaction score
tank to bowl, Cadet 3

I am also just installing the tank and have the same gap as pictured in Ron's question. I want to tighten further per the directions but fear the worst. So I will turn on the water and see what happens!:eek:

TheZster

Reaction score
I've installed 7 cadets in the past two years... they work - they're cheap - and no one has complained to date. Keep in mind - I'm in the fix n flip business - and put these in my lower priced homes.... though I also have to admit I put one in two of my last personal homes recently.... I'd love to be able to recommend a spendier toilet system... but - so far - I can't.

I've never been able to get the tank all the way down to the toilet either - but if it doesn't leak, doesn't fall off the tank.... then it's not a problem..

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
no one has complained to date

Many builders and flippers us less expensive products.
People know that, so what is there to complain about.
They know you didn't put in the best,
And that's why people complain about the builder, not the components.

I make a living out of replacing builder grade components.

We're just in a different part of the business.

I've built homes before, so I know where you are coming from.
A builder may be working on a 5% margin. There isn't much wiggle in that to make it better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks