Tightening flange to tub boot, how much?

Users who are viewing this thread

AH81

Reaction score
Hello,
I have been a long time reader of this forum and have found it very helpful, thank you.

With information Ive read here I have been able to rebuild my 1959 bathroom stronger than before, with plumbing to code, and a new Kohler bellwether cast iron tub. The joists and subfloor are plenty strong for a cast iron tub, with feet resting over the joists. I have made a lot of progress while spending a lot of blood, sweat, tears, and time.

Tub is a cast iron Kohler Bellwether.
Waste overflow is kohler's all brass K-7160-TF

Ive read a number of threads on installing the flange and tub boot and have a generalized idea of what to do. Also purchased a Smart Dumbell to tighten the flange.

My question and concern is, how tight do I tighten the flange? My fear would be cracking or chipping the porcelain. Taken a lot of time to get where I am and dont want to screw it up.
Thanks
Adam

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The overflow comes with a rubber washer that slips between the tub and the shoe of the drain. I put some putty on the flange and thread it down, snugging it up with the dumbell. I put a wrench on it and snug it pretty good. You don't have to Tarzan the thing though. You're just clamping the fittings together.

Scott D (CA)

Reaction score
What Terry recommends ought to do it. When you get the W & O installed, you should fill the tub with water up to the overflow. The overflow is more difficult to make water tight than the drain.

AH81

Reaction score
Right. I have not taken the Tarzan approach. If anything Im being too cautious. I'm used to working with torque values.

If I get it hand tight with the dumbell, how much of a turn would you do with a wrench? 1/4 turn? Ever heard of the porcelain on a cast iron cracking or chipping from over tightening?

Im also learning that too much putty can be a problem. Thinking putty the diameter of a pencil on the bottom of the flange.

Scott D (CA)

Reaction score
A bead of putty about 1/2" should be about right. If you overdo the putty a little, it will still work it's way out of the joint. Snug down the dumbbell until the putty is hardly noticeable between the tub and flange.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
In woodworking you can screw it or glue it or peg it or dovetail it or clamp it. The more you do the better long term.
On a tub drain you've got the rubber washer on the bottom of the tub and the screw-in drain preloaded with putty on the top side. It's good insurance. Overtighten the tub drain and the washer on the bottom may egg-out and leave an eight-lane highway for a leak later on, after the putty dries out, ten years down the road. I always ask people how old the house is when they have a mystery stain on the ceiling below an upstairs bathroom. Sometimes it's meaningful, sometimes not. It's a crapshoot every time.

AH81

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys. I think its a matter of doing it once vs. years of experience.
Thanks for the help. I do appreciate the input.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks