Tie the sump discharge into a downspout extension?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tepid Coffee

Hoosier hack
Reaction score
My 1950s house has the sump discharging into the septic tank, which I understand is not appropriate. I plan to route the discharge through a brick exterior wall at a point less than 2' from a point where I'm installing a downspout extension. Does it make sense to tie the sump discharge into the downspout extension? The extension will take runoff well away from the foundation and downhill. Some questions:
1) Is it reasonable to connect my sump discharge to a downspout extension? The extension is (planned) 4" SDR-35. The sump is discharging though 1 1/2" schedule 40.
2) Should I upgrade the extension to 4" schedule 40 if I do this? The extension will not get any vehicle heavier than a walk-behind mower run above it, it's well away from road, driveway, and sidewalk.
3) I'm in Indiana, so I will get regular winter freezes. How would I avoid or mitigate freezing problems with the sump output/extension?
4) Where should I put a cleanout on the system? Would it be best just inside (would be tough to access since the discharge will run a few inches below the basement ceiling), just outside, or in the downspout extension after the sump ties in? Or somewhere else? I don't plan on having any 90 degree bends after the cleanout, or for that matter, inside the house between the sump and exterior.
5) How far from the sump pump should I put the check valve? Does it matter if it's on a vertical or horizontal run? I will have about 12 ft of run from the sump to to the exterior wall, then about 2 feet outside until the downspout extension.
6) What else do I need to think about?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks