Tie 3/4 A/C Drain Line to 3 inch Septic Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

DW85745

Reaction score
I'm getting tired of emptying the bucket under the A/C Drain line. Since the 3 inch line to the septic system is close by I'd thought I'd tie in the drain line with a rubber coupling, so if needed, I can clean the A/C drain line.
I don't relish digging up the 3 inch line to try and get enought play so wanted to find out if:

1) They make a saddle for a 3 inch ABS line?
2) What is the smallest pipe I can get coming off the saddle?
3) Any chance they make a outside/inside rubber sleeve such that I can push it inside of a "1-1/2" or "2" ABS and then pusn in the "3/4" A/C drain into the inside of the sleeve. I know they make these for larger holes "4" ++ as used one when I recored a septic tank, but don't know about smaller.

4) Any better suggestions appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You would need a trap in the line otherwise, you could get sewer gasses sucked into the HVAC system under certain circumstances. You might get by without a vent line. A potentially better solution would be to drain the condensate into a pump assembly made for the purpose, and pump it out, either outside, or say into the stand pipe of a washing machine, or a utility sink, or floor drain. Condensate pumps are cheap, and depending on the one you choose, some have a fairly high head, so they can pump up a good distance. They all have some basin built in, so they only run periodically, once the basin gets full.

http://www.little-giantpump.com/hvac_cond.htm

DW85745

Reaction score
You would need a trap in the line otherwise, you could get sewer gasses sucked into the HVAC system under certain circumstances. You might get by without a vent line. A potentially better solution would be to drain the condensate into a pump assembly made for the purpose, and pump it out, either outside, or say into the stand pipe of a washing machine, or a utility sink, or floor drain. Condensate pumps are cheap, and depending on the one you choose, some have a fairly high head, so they can pump up a good distance. They all have some basin built in, so they only run periodically, once the basin gets full.

http://www.little-giantpump.com/hvac_cond.htm
Thanks for pointing out about the trap.
Just took a look see, and already a trap on the drain near the A/C so OK there.

In my part of the country, the water from the A/C normally is dumped on the ground - unless - the A/C is mounted on the roof
where they run a line over to the vent stack and dump it in there. Never like that method as a lot of A/C guys drill a hole in the side of the stack pipe near the roof line and then put tar around it.

In my case would need to pump it somewhere. Either to the line cleanout of tap the pipe is my only options to keep it off the ground as lot water comes off out the drain line and is a termite attractor IMHO. Line clearout might be doable bur about 13 feet away and would still have the trap requirement.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Another option would be to run a tube to the nearest bathroom and attach it to the sink drain, after you replace the drain set to one that has that attachment.
You use a pump or gravity, depending on your situation.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is never a good idea to connect an AC drain to a drain line, because in the winter time any trap will dry out and you WILL draw the sewer odors into the house.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF you use a condensate pump, you could use a tailpiece on a sink just like if it were from a dishwasher. It would be above the trap of that sink, and you wouldn't have the potential issue of sewer gasses getting into the HVAC system.

DW85745

Reaction score
Thanks guys for responses.
I know all don't have a picture of the situation, but no sinks, etc anywhere near the A/C drain tube -- inlet or outlet or run.
Just a backyard desert and a 3 inch septic line underground about 12 inches from where the A/C line outlets.
HJ brought up a good point. Had given it some thought about winter dryout and had figured setup would need to be removable (rubber coupled) both to prevent the trap dry issue during winter and also for cleaning.
Talked with Fernco this AM, but the smallest donut they have is 1.31 inch ID (1 inch pipe) and a 2.8 inch OD ( ~ a 3 inch pipe).
What I'm considering as of now -- unless better suggestions - is put a 3 x 2 saddle on the drain line. Then put a removable cleanout cap on the two inch. Drill a hole though the cap and insert a flexible tube attached to the drain line and seal it with silicon or a rubber bushing if I can find one. This way the tubing can be easily removed for A/C drain line cleaning and another 2 inch cleanout cap put on during the winter. KISS method.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks