Ticking Water Meter

Users who are viewing this thread

madworldmatt

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a water meter that ticks loudly when measuring water (city).

I'd like to know if anyone with a similar problem has convinced the city to replace their meter. My guess is that the city would say too bad you'll just have to live with it.

Also, I'd like to know if you think a replacement meter will solve the problem. The replacement meter my city offers is the same model so I'm inclined to think the problem will persist with the new meter - unless the meter I have is faulty.

The ticks are very loud and wake us up when the irrigation system runs. :mad:

The meter I have is a Badger Recordall model and looks like the one located here...
http://www.badgermeter.com/udisc.htm
http://www.badgermeter.com/pdf/recdisk/tech/rd-t-5-8.pdf

Thoughts???

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Many times there is a PRV near the meter and I have had them make noise and you would swear it was the meter. Some meters have a check valve that can make noise when water is running. The city should be more than happy to replace it if it is the meter that is the culprit.

They are replacing all the meters in the city I am from and warned everyone that they may see a jump in their water bill because the old meters were only 80% accurate. The new ones are 98-99% accurate. They will allso be doing away with the meter readers. All electronic tracking now.

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
With Water Meters You Get Ticking

Ticking is a characteristic of positive displacement water meters. It is most noticeable at high flows.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Cass said:
They are replacing all the meters in the city I am from and warned everyone that they may see a jump in their water bill because the old meters were only 80% accurate. The new ones are 98-99% accurate. They will allso be doing away with the meter readers. All electronic tracking now.

My meter ticks very loud too. I'm not sure the make/model though. I had posted here once upon a time and was told it was normal. I can hear mine in the second floor bathroom when the washer is filling--I'm sure the pipes carry the sound.

A move from 80% could be better or worse. Sure you could be using 100G for every 80G billed, or you could be using 96G for every 120G billed, no?

Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks