Through floor supply lines - Anchor or float? 1/2" or 3/8"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kyle Altendorf

Reaction score
Other project threads:
While I've got access to my subfloor to build it up for tile, I am curious if I should be anchoring my supply lines to the floor. I have one toilet supply coming through the floor and two pairs of sink lines that will be inside a double vanity. I have seen references to people grouting directly against the supply lines which wouldn't work terribly well with a loose pipe but I could easily imagine that pipes should have some play to avoid undue stress as they (and the rest of the house) grow and shrink a bit with temperature and humidity. So, anchor supply lines at the floor or not? If yes, what is used for this?

Also, I am interested in using a Kingston Brass C43158X cross handle stop valve in nickel. For all the time I am (inefficiently) putting into this bathroom (I'm learning, that's it) I think it will make for a nice detail with the faucets my wife has picked out. That said, it only seems to be available in 1/2" IPS input, not the 3/8" that is presently there. It's not a big deal to cut out and replace a small piece of the decking to sweat on a 1/2" fitting but before I do that, am I correct in my impression that 1/2" is the standard for toilet supplies now? I feel like 1/2" has been more common as I've looked around. I'm not too worried about the sink supplies since they are already plumbed well above the floor and are hidden anyways.

Thanks for your continued help here and have a great day.

Cheers,
-kyle

Kyle Altendorf

Reaction score
Thanks for looking out for my safety Doug. I added that to my purchase list.

When you say any holes, would that include sink drain lines into the walls? Or the toilet flange? Not sure exactly how I would do that one with a hub flange. Perhaps the PVC fire rating is sufficient in that case.

DougB

Reaction score
The fire stop is for between floors. So a draft can't spread the flame in the wall. You can also pack fiberglass insulation (nonflammable). I just find the foam easier. I would say the toilet setting on top of the flange would be good enough.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks