Throttling back an over-sized pump

Users who are viewing this thread

ttracy

Reaction score
Thanks to the sage advice on this forum, I removed a bad dole valve from my system (much quieter now, thank you). Now for my second problem - I replaced the 10 gal/min dole valve with a half-closed ball valve in an effort to slow down my pump. What's the easiest way to measure the flow rate? I connected a short piece of hose to the pressure-tank spigot (empty) flipped the pump switch and timed how long it took to fill a 10 gal container (about 50 seconds). Of course, when I flipped the pump switch off after 10 gal, the water kept coming (and coming)! Obviously, the pump produces more than can get through the hose spigot and is partially filling the pressure tank while I fill the 10 gal container. Can I keep closing the ball valve? Is my thought process all screwed up trying to measure 10 gal/min through a hose? Do I need to worry about back-pressure when I keep inching the ball valve closed? With the old (loud) 10 gal/min dole valve, the pump ran for more than a minute to fill the pressure tank. With a half-closed ball valve, now it only runs for 45 seconds. Here are the specs on the well if it helps: pump 10GS07 set at 160', 180' well produces 8 gal/min, static level is all the way to the top (4 feet of head).

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
What you are doing isn't of much good. Had you run water until the pump came on and then shut it off, and then drained the tank into a bucket after the pump shut off at cut out, you would have measured the draw down gallons of the tank and, had you timed the flow until the pump came on as you drained the tank, you would have measured the time the pump was off for proper cooling of the motor; minimum of 60 seconds for your hp.

ttracy

Reaction score
Thanks. My main concern is with the less than 1 minute runtime - trying to estimate the flowrate was just so I could close the ball valve enough to replicate the 10 gal/min dole valve I just pulled out. At this point, I'm not putting in a larger tank (wx-250 44 gal) or a smaller pump, so I'm hoping that closing the ball valve a bit more will increase the pump runtime without causing problems elsewhere.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks