Three Way Switches Light Dimmer Installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Suma87

Reaction score
Problem:
Changed light bulbs from incandescent to LED and LED bulbs do not shut off even when switch (leviton mural) is off. Found out switch doesn't support LED. Have the leviton mural switch on first floor and MS00R-1 remote on second floor. Removed switch on second floor and tried to install leviton IPL06 switch on first floor but still doesn't work.

First floor: all three wires are hot except green
Second floor: red and black are hot.. Black (with white coating) and green are not hot

I had spent half a day and trying different wirings and still couldn't understand how the wiring works. Please help and would appreciate any suggestions. What is white/gray wire does? Doesn't seem to be a neutral line?? This is the most complex wiring I'd ever came across

Leviton mural switch installation instruction:
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibcG...p8LA1stQ&label=IBE&appName=IBE&minisite=10251

Leviton IPL06 instructions
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibcG...hLzCk0-A&label=IBE&appName=IBE&minisite=10251

First floor:

cid:B2713CA6-99E6-4D90-98AA-734EEE7899E1

After removing switch
cid:331E6805-6AF7-4983-B942-22EEF9AE69F8

Second floor (original wiring)
cid:AEE5F3A6-AA8D-4ED4-AFB3-4AA1B228425D

After removing switch
cid:CFE79D7A-3990-485F-BA58-97BFA3FF4E79

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 392
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 334
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 329
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 340

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
MS00R-1 instructions provide that it is for use on incandescent and halogen bulbs only. Does support LED, as you now know .
Instructions also provide that you must use the remote at the second location. You cannot use a 3-way switch. Wiring does not look all that complicated. It is different from normal 3-way wiring in that the hot to the light ties into one of the traveler wires. Obviously control is done electronically by the MS00R-1 and travelers are signal wires.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
As I understand it your old dimmer setup would work from both locations with a"remote" switch. This remote switch allowed the light to be dimmed in addition to the dimmer itself. Is this right?

It looks like to me that your replacement IPL06 only works with a standard three way switch at the other location, therefore, the dimmer setting is only done at the dimmer location. Not sure if you're using a three way switch or one of the old remote switches.

Google three way switch and find a simple three way switch wiring. Then compare it to the instructions of the IPL06. It might make more sense. You'll find several wiring methods depending on where the power comes from, one of the wall switches or the ceiling light.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks