Threaded tub spout question

Users who are viewing this thread

T_Hartigan

Reaction score
I found a shower/bath system that I really like. The tub spout has 1/2" FNPT. How hard is it to get this to line up right against the wall without having a leak or excessive gap? I'm used to seeing the push on type, which seems easier.

Thanks.

Tim

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
THere's a few ways to do this. If you have access behind the wall, anchoring the drop-ear el at the proper depth along with an available nipple, or potentially use a piece of copper pipe with soldered on threaded fittings can be made any length, and there are a bunch of different stock length nipples. You can often adjust a bit since you can often get an extra turn or so at each end to adjust the length.

Asktom

Reaction score
If the nipple screws in at the front end of the spout, you can use two nipples and a coupling. With four threads tightening you have lots of adjustment.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I prefer the Delta spout design above all others. I mean the one with the threaded adapter....it allows a good inch+ of wiggle room.

With a straight IPS spout, if you assume a tolerance of + or - one turn at the spout end of the nipple, and same on the inboard end of the nipple, you need to get that nipple lenght right within about 1/4" max. Often this means a custom cut nipple, not an out of the box length.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks