Thread sealant

Users who are viewing this thread

TWS

Reaction score
greetings,

i'm getting ready to plumb my new goulds pump.

i have yellow and white teflon tape to put on the steel pipe threads or rectorseal slow dry 5 soft set. is one preferable to the other? is one used for a specific joint for example the steel pipe that goes into the pump cast iron itself? this is the suction side.

thanks for any plumber advice.

tws

Attachments

• i-tL2LXzT.jpg
    i-tL2LXzT.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 250
  • i-wHX4Gg2.jpg
    i-wHX4Gg2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 243

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you have time to let the slow dry set, that would be my preference. If you don't have time a little Teflon tape with Teflon paste over that works well.

pipe-dope-dope.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TWS

Reaction score
thanks valveman,

I've decided to nix the galvanized steel and go with all PVC schedule 40. I've got a ten foot piece with a foot valve at the end descending into the well. i'll get some more with appropriate elbows and a disconnect union to finish the plumbing to the jet pump 1 1/4" i believe. can anyone suggest a PVC replacement part for this fitting? see attached photo. I'd like to have a fitting that would accommodate the pressure valve as well as a port to facilitate priming the pump.

Attachments

• fitting-1.jpg
    fitting-1.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 281

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would put a Pside-Kick on top of the jet pump. Then all you need is a Sch 40 1" male adapter to glue in the PVC pipe going to the house.

Last edited by a moderator:

TWS

Reaction score
that's exactly what i've been looking for... my plan B

i intend to bypass the pressure switch and just use this pump on and off to water the garden with soaker and drip hoses

HOWEVER, if that proves impracticable, then a Pside-Kick pressure tank would fit the bill providing i have head room to install it... Or... if the tank could be mounted more to the side and down. i think the attached photo would better illustrate my pump fitting problem.. essentially my pump room so to speak must be able to fit under my well desk in my garage.

Attachments

• twopumps-2.jpg
    twopumps-2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 268

TWS

Reaction score
thanks everyone for some great feedback, it helps me immensely. i'm gone on the road all week and have only a few hours on the weekend to accomplish chores like this. by having everything sorted out beforehand saves me all kinds of time and trouble.

here are some follow on images that will illustrate my pump fitting situation. in short i have exactly 16" of head room from the top of the gould JS5 to the bottom of my desk top and a little over a foot to either side.

Attachments

• newwell-1.jpg
    newwell-1.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 269
  • newwell-3.jpg
    newwell-3.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 248
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks