Thoughts on the Flexx Oxi-Gen Iron and Sulfur Filter

Users who are viewing this thread

J.A.R.V.I.S.

Reaction score
Last year I was searching for an iron filter (and water softener) and the common issue with the air injection style is that the valves get clogged from oxidized iron and need frequent cleaning/servicing. I never ended up picking one and that project got put on hold. I just did another search and saw the Flexx Oxi-Gen Iron and Sulfur Filter. The filter is on the side, which seems like a better way. Have any of you used this? Is it a quality system? I did a search but didn't find anything.

Hardness (CaCO3): 241.43 mg/L
Iron (Fe): 0.90 mg/L
Manganese (Mn): 0.01 mg/L
pH: 7.92

whitbackgroundfo.jpg

JPwork

Reaction score
Not a fan for a multitude of reasons. I will be nice though.
dittohead, could you expand on your thoughts regarding the Flexx Oxi-gen system? My water has 22gpg of hardness and 5ppm of iron. We just purchased the house and want to replace the rented water treatment system. For the most part the existing system works well and I have been using its performance to guide the system performance needs. It currently has a dual tank air injection system for eliminating the iron (Iron curtain 2.0) and a dual tank water softener. We have 5 bathrooms. The system seems to be effective but the rental company changes the iron filter riser tube and related parts every two years and the resin every 3 years. I was hoping that picking the Flexx Oxi-gen with the option of adding the peroxide in the backwash would reduce the need for servicing and replacing the resin and "guts" of the iron filter every 2-3 years. I would appreciate some guidance. I am an amateur, but have been doing a lot of reading and learning from this web site and other sources.

I would also note that it is not clear to me that the Flexx Oxi-gen has been around very long or has a very wide acceptance in the market. I would love to find a reliable iron removal solution that would only need servicing every 5 or more years if possible. For the iron removal units that have the valve at the top, sellers claim that the "basket" to disburse the water away from the valve eliminates fouling but there are also those that claim this does not work well. I just can't find enough clear information from experts (without a product to push) to understand what really works without a lot of service. I also find very few sellers post maintenance manuals. Maybe because the answer is "it depends". But it looks like most places would rather not support DIY.

Thank you for your thoughts and guidance.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I will send you a PM, in general air systems will cause a lot of fouling, but this is not a big deal as maintenance every year or so typically only takes 20 minutes.

J.A.R.V.I.S.

Reaction score
I will send you a PM, in general air systems will cause a lot of fouling, but this is not a big deal as maintenance every year or so typically only takes 20 minutes.
Why not post it here? I'm interested in air-injection to avoid chemicals, and this one seemed like a good solution to the typical fouling issue. What do you suggest for iron removal?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Why not post it here? I'm interested in air-injection to avoid chemicals, and this one seemed like a good solution to the typical fouling issue. What do you suggest for iron removal?
I typically don't like saying negative things about product lines, we are all good friends in this industry and some products are great, many are not. I am always happy to PM my opinion, I am sure you understand this simple reason. Consider your industry, you always try to be civil and nice even with your friendly competitors.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks