Thoughts on RO system or suggestions for another

Users who are viewing this thread

Scottp999

Reaction score
Looking at this system: https://www.uswatersystems.com/all-american-6-stage-reverse-osmosis-system.html

W
ould be installed in the basement below the main floor refrigerator that makes water and ice. Thinking to add a UV light after the RO membrane and before the Alkaline + mineral stage (not sure if I should do it at that stage). On public water where I don’t trust the provider (Private company but public utility) and we have some new heavy industry starting next year in an area prone to sink holes above the aquifer that we all get our water from.

Thanks!

Apro1day

Reaction score
Looking at this system: https://www.uswatersystems.com/all-american-6-stage-reverse-osmosis-system.html

W
ould be installed in the basement below the main floor refrigerator that makes water and ice. Thinking to add a UV light after the RO membrane and before the Alkaline + mineral stage (not sure if I should do it at that stage). On public water where I don’t trust the provider (Private company but public utility) and we have some new heavy industry starting next year in an area prone to sink holes above the aquifer that we all get our water from.

Thanks!
I’ve been looking for an RO as well. This one looks pretty good but they all seem great by their websites. I don’t want the faucet installed but I e been told there is a built in air gap in the faucets and it’s required?? I’m also weary of a catastrophic leak while no one is home and have not found a good sensor with water cut off valve yet.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
I'm not sure what makes it so much better than others. I'd definitely go with the permeate pump option, I've been really happy that I installed one on the unit I have. I ended up with just an ispring unit and have been happy with it for about 4 years now. It was much less than that one. If your looking for a water sensor it all depends on if you have a ball valve to turn off your water supply or not. I put in a ball valve and an electric option that mounts over the valve body and turns the valve on and off through wifi. I can put a water sensor in and set it so that if water is detected, the valve turns off the water.

Apro1day

Reaction score
I'm not sure what makes it so much better than others. I'd definitely go with the permeate pump option, I've been really happy that I installed one on the unit I have. I ended up with just an ispring unit and have been happy with it for about 4 years now. It was much less than that one. If your looking for a water sensor it all depends on if you have a ball valve to turn off your water supply or not. I put in a ball valve and an electric option that mounts over the valve body and turns the valve on and off through wifi. I can put a water sensor in and set it so that if water is detected, the valve turns off the water.

i noticed the price of this unit was high too but if the PH filter actually works as advertised it is great. Most I’ve read on real person reviews says they don’t buffer for crap. This one is touting some really high PH levels which is Interesting to me. Acidic water is another thing that turned me off to RO water.

can you link the parts you have for a water cut off? That is huge for me as well.

Scottp999

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. If the system is expensive but really all US made parts, may opt for it. Really like the leak monitoring options. Much appreciated.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
I use this water valve attachment. You attach it to your current ball valve instead of installing a new valve. I just installed a ball valve so I was set.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NVJN1YB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then I use the smart life app to control the valve and add this sensor that has a water sensor that goes on the floor and also measures the temperature and humidity in the room.

https://www.amazon.com/Updated-Vers...rature-Humidity/dp/B088KBJSF9?ref_=ast_sto_dp

So in the app, it's easy to say "If the sensor detects water, turn off the valve". You can also have it say "if the temperature drops below 40 degrees, send me a notification". Or the same for humidity.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
i noticed the price of this unit was high too but if the PH filter actually works as advertised it is great. Most I’ve read on real person reviews says they don’t buffer for crap. This one is touting some really high PH levels which is Interesting to me. Acidic water is another thing that turned me off to RO water.

can you link the parts you have for a water cut off? That is huge for me as well.

That is interesting about the PH filter. If that's the case it shouldn't affect your copper pipes.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
When it comes to RO systems, most are built to the lowest price points, especially the Amaz.. systems. A leak detector is important. I also recommend staying away from the mega stage designs, these are silly. More stages is not necessarily better. Would having 6 fuel filters ahead of you injectors be better than 1? I prefer the Quick change USA made RO.s, this way you are replcing the filter sumps every filter change, this is the most likely catastrophic failure point on any RO.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
When it comes to RO systems, most are built to the lowest price points, especially the Amaz.. systems. A leak detector is important. I also recommend staying away from the mega stage designs, these are silly. More stages is not necessarily better. Would having 6 fuel filters ahead of you injectors be better than 1? I prefer the Quick change USA made RO.s, this way you are replcing the filter sumps every filter change, this is the most likely catastrophic failure point on any RO.

What do you mean by replacing the filter sumps every filter change? I'm not familiar with that terminology.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
upload_2020-9-15_10-25-25.png
This is a sump style filter, failures like this are very common. The USA Quick change are "encapsulated" so you are basicallt throwing this high failure rate part away every year. I know people will reply "but mine lasted for over 10 years..." regardless, the failure rate of this style of housing is far higher than the encapsulated designs.

Scottp999

Reaction score
RO_installed_10042020_system_small.jpg

Installed in the basement this weekend below the refrigerator. Have to do a full water test shortly to compare to one about a year ago. Based on TDS readings the Alkaline/Mineral filter is adding about 60-65 TDS above the water coming from the membrane.

The permeate pump is loud. I ordered some 1" thick sound reduction material, drilled 4 holes into an old 50 cal. ammo can I had, inserted some grommets, will line it with the sound proofing material, and plan to test it out as a sound proof home for the pump.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Looks nice.

. Based on TDS readings the Alkaline/Mineral filter is adding about 60-65 TDS above the water coming from the membrane.
If you could tee off the water before the remineralization, that would give you really good cleaning and rinsing water. Great for eyeglasses, mirrors, etc.

Scottp999

Reaction score
Looks nice.
If you could tee off the water before the remineralization, that would give you really good cleaning and rinsing water. Great for eyeglasses, mirrors, etc.

agree. I did tee off after the 1st 3 filters so i could get the new filter carbon fines down to a bucket before hitting the RO membrane, and a divider after all components so i could drain the tank to a bucket a few times on startup. I could easily add a divider out between those two elements. Great idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks