Thought I had my Moen fixed, and then. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

tomwatson90

Reaction score
I spent 6 hours and 3 trips to the hardware store replacing my Moen Positemp cartridge in order to stop a shower drip (I have a turn-knob shower faucet). I finally fixed it and sealed it up and it worked great for 2 days. Then this morning I pushed the faucet handle in to make sure the cartridge was in there tight -- dumb move I guess because then the shower started dripping. I tried to pull it back out and the dripping slowed, but basically now it's dripping slowly again, just like it was before all of my hard work. Did I break the faucet by pushing it in, or is it possible to get it to stop dripping again by pushing or pulling it until it gets back to where it was yesterday? (I really don't want to have to do a full cartridge replacement again). . .

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
(I really don't want to have to do a full cartridge replacement again). . .
Why not?

There is nothing you could have done by pushing in the cartridge that would make it leak, unless the rubbers are binding on the housing.. Could also be a bad cartridge or a g non-genuine replacement part.

Call the Moen 1-800 number and ask for a replacement cartridge and they should send you a new one, free of charge, within 3 working days

tomwatson90

Reaction score
ok - thanks. When I took out the last one (as well as another one that I had to remove) the black rubber on the sides was getting caught in the copper pipes on the side. In fact, both times taking it out, the rubber ripped in half which made it a bear to get out. Does that mean there's something wrong with the housing of the cartridge?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
ok - thanks. When I took out the last one (as well as another one that I had to remove) the black rubber on the sides was getting caught in the copper pipes on the side. In fact, both times taking it out, the rubber ripped in half which made it a bear to get out. Does that mean there's something wrong with the housing of the cartridge?

There is nothing wrong with the housing. When removing the old cartridge try to pull it straight out with out turning it. You may have a peace of rubber in the housing from the old cartridge causing the new one to leak.

John

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
After you remove the old one and before you install the new one turn on the water and let it run for a short while...that should blow out any bits of junk in the valve...then dry the inside of the valve and lube it with some silicone plumbing greeze...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks