This Solder joint might leak later?

Users who are viewing this thread

james1100

Reaction score
Hello
I just got new water heater installed by a reputable plumber in my town. I noticed a tiny gap on one of the Solder joints and started to worry this might leak later. I would appreciate if any plumber can give an advice. If that's going to leak eventually, should I ask my plumber to do pipe again right away? Thanks for your help in advance.
The first picture shows a gap, the second picture is the other side view of that joint.
IMG_20170819_091319.jpg
IMG_20170819_101956.jpg

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can't tell by looking at the outside of a solder joint whether it will "eventually" leak or not. That's why soldered piping installations are
put under actual pressure test prior to being placed in service. It's rare for any solder joint that tests OK to start leaking prior to the expected service life of the pipe system.

The tiny little "gaps" you show are extremely common in soldered piping systems, with no leaks.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
The joint in the pictures looks decent to me too.
Usually, I use a rug around the joint while the solder is still hot, to ensure a complete seal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks