This fatberg is up there with the biggest we’ve ever seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
This fatberg is up there with the biggest we’ve ever seen.

https://munchies.vice.com/en_uk/art...have-created-a-monster-fatberg-under-the-city

It's happening all over the world. New York City, London, it's just everywhere. A combination of grease, wipes, more grease and junk in general. Even stores like Wallmart, Costco and Target are being sold for selling "flushable" wipes. They aren't!!

http://www.tmz.com/2017/12/04/flushable-wipes-lawsuit-costco-walmart-target/

Wipes are sticking in toilet trapways and collecting there, and further down the line in pipes, and jamming sewer pumps downline. Big giant fatbergs filling pipeways and blocking waste upstream. Stop it people.

I find it funny that when I pull a poor working toilet and find it clogged with wipes, that nobody in that household uses them. Really? You can put toilet paper in a jar with water, shake it and the paper breaks down. Try that with a wipe, and it stays intact. I work on kitchen sinks clogged with grease, and again, nobody puts grease down those drains either. I always make sure I'm wearing rubber gloves for that. However the guy that snakes the drains, can't wear rubber gloves for fear of the cable catching on the rubber and injuring his hands.
I don't have a power snake for that reason. I'm a little afraid of those things.

kirkland-wipes.jpg

I don' really want to get into trouble saying you can't flush them, but my with them, is that you shouldn't.
They should go into a waste basket and then to the trash. Not be put down our joint sewer systems shared by our neighbors. Why should tax dollars be spent dealing with the trash that people put down their toilets that are helping to create fatbergs. Come on people.

sewer-mom-02.jpg

Here is a residential blockage I came across. It gets much worse further down line. That's mainly paper products in there.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you do not have a "power snake" why do you pull the toilet, although I would almost never do that anyway.
gi_joe.jpg

GI Joe in toilet.

toilet_fork.jpg

Fork in toilet.

Tennis ball in toilet.

Fire Engine in toilet.

Makeup pen in toilet.

Sand Dollar in toilet.

Shampoo bottle in toilet.

I do have a closet auger, but they don't pull things of of the bowl for me. It only pushes.
I sometimes pull the bowl and push them back out the way they came.

Below is from a Facebook post I found and his story about the service call he went on.
Flushable wipes stopped up everything.

wipes-in-toilet.jpg

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The worst stoppage I had encounter was a 30" private sewer in a development 30+ years

I used a 3/4" x 100 ft cable with all types of cutting heads and realized I was going need my other van which I have a Jetmax jetter installing with a 50 gallon tank

I then used a 11/4" x 225 feet and decided to open the manhole cover and saw lots of FOG and wipes etc

I ended up using the jetter 12 GPM @2,500 PSI 9 hr hours later full flow was established

This year NYC finally admitted that the wipes are clogging up their sewer treatment plants and put out a bulletin stating not to use them

Funny how big city government officials never listens to those actually working in the field who for decades stated how many stoppages we encountered

Wipes and grease was better searching for a gold mine as they was no risk looking for the fortune it was right there in the piping

When the low flow fixtures came out that was another opportunity to cash in on as west niles was being spread from storm lines and sewers because of the lack of scouring action

These systems were sized at 7.48 gallons (1 FU) and the toilets at less then half of the old GPF and in the high rise structures there is not enough volume to properly scour the walls of the 16" sewer lines so again water Jetting was needed

sylvan-snaking-02.jpg

upload_2018-6-2_12-55-12.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
ok...no more wipes....is digging it up the only way to clear it out?

No depending on the waste line and how long to the main sewer a 3/4" cable x 100 feet normally will remove everything from 4" - 6" lines although I did have good success up to 8"

6" and above the 11/4 cables with the correct cutter will chop through most stoppages

If there is a really long run (over 300 feet ) with no tight bends sectional rods would clear some of the most severe stoppages with very little chance of kinking

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks