Thinset on the face of porcelain tile and in grout lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Hnelson

Reaction score
Our bathroom is being remodeled and the builder doing the tile has gotten thinset one the face of many of the tiles and it's oozing from some of the grout lines as well. How bad is this?

Update to show "finished" project. Project manager is coming out to see it tomorrow. Any specific phrasing that I should use besides the tiles look filthy, and the thinset is showing through the grout? I don't expect it to be perfect, but the grout on the floor should be a dark gray.
20220926_060418.jpg
20220926_060411.jpg
20220926_060500.jpg
20220926_060432.jpg

Attachments

• 20221008_220751.jpg
    20221008_220751.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 20221008_220716.jpg
    20221008_220716.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
It is normal to wipe it off when wet, so a sign of sloppy work habits.
Don't pay more until it is done to your satisfaction. Sulfamic Acid is mild and used to clean portland cement based mortar. As a plumber, no experience cleaning more than haze with it.
Also, that sloppy oozed thinset between tile joints must be gouged out completely so that the grout has depth to it and isn't just a too-thin overlay in the joint.
So sorry for you!
I hope the contractor is licensed and responsible.

Hnelson

Reaction score
It is normal to wipe it off when wet, so a sign of sloppy work habits.
Don't pay more until it is done to your satisfaction. Sulfamic Acid is mild and used to clean portland cement based mortar. As a plumber, no experience cleaning more than haze with it.
Also, that sloppy oozed thinset between tile joints must be gouged out completely so that the grout has depth to it and isn't just a too-thin overlay in the joint.
So sorry for you!
I hope the contractor is licensed and responsible.
I was afraid of that. Thank you.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I would also question the spacing / alignment on the mosaic tile. I have not expertise in this area ... but it looks wrong to me. I am sorry you are having these difficulties.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It can be a real bear to clean thinset off after it has cured for a while. The longer you wait, the harder it is. The next morning, it won't be all that hard yet (relatively, anyways).

It's hard to tell, but it looks like there may be a lot of lippage as well (tiled edges at different heights), so it won't make a nice flat surface.

FWIW, www.johnbridge.com site is dedicated to tiling things, and is my go-to place for tiling questions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks