Thinking about adding a sub panel with a generator interlock

Users who are viewing this thread

ArcticTaco

Reaction score
So looking at hitting two birds with one cat.

We need a sub panel, the current one is full all electric house 200 amp service EATON panel:
39137082-60F2-40A4-AC54-A8CDBD7A3E84.jpeg

Since we want to set up an emergency generator as part of this ongoing remodel, I’m thinking about this panel or something similar:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Siemens-20...VoP7jBx0fCgBHEAQYBSABEgKR8vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Looks like this:
BE1E20D1-2FDD-4349-9337-EF5D16A6F34F.jpeg

Leaves plenty of room and also it’s only 1 additional panel. It has room to expand the generator fed circuits so there is flexibility for future expansion and we have a 2 freezers and 2 refrigerators, well pump, booster pump, plus electrical controls for the pellet stove a lift station and a couple lighting circuits as well. Just floating the idea....

Last edited:

ArcticTaco

Reaction score
That would definitely be preferable.
I will have to check if they make a BR type breaker panel, I believe they do. I am mostly looking at the panel configuration I have some mounting space issues. Plus if possible fewer J-boxes and splices make for a cleaner wiring setup.
Found an EATON CPM126GEN or a CPM236GEN , probably best to go with the 236 as it is also rated for 200 Amp service?
From EATON :
Combination Service Entrance Loadcentre Generator Panel
CPM126GEN/CPM236GEN
♦ Single enclosure (EEMAC 1) to house both loadcentre and generator breakers
♦Factory installed main breakers. ♦Available in 100 and 200 ampere
designs.
♦Utility and emergency transfer
switch breaker factory installed. ♦ Utility breaker and generator
Standards and Certifications
♦CSA approved.
Product Specifications
♦10,000 AIC rating for CPM126GEN ♦25,000 AIC rating for CPM236GEN ♦Switching devices must be circuit
breakers.
♦Transfer switch panel must be
supplied with neutral and ground.

Last edited:

Stuff

Reaction score
What size generator are you going for? From the specs the 126 has a 30 generator breaker and the 326 has a 60 amp.
Also see this is service rated. Some panels are service only (neutral/ground bonded) and you need a sub. I don't see details on this.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
As Stuff asked, WHAT SIZE generator and what brand and model number. If it is not a whole house generator such as what Kholor has at 10-15 KW or higher, you're spending a lot of effort and money that may not work.

ArcticTaco

Reaction score
Well the generator on-site is buried under a bunch of stuff in the garage, but it looks like an L14-20 plug- so 20 amps max. That said the boss will need convincing that it is inadequate. As the emergency loads would be a well pump/pressure pump,2 freezers & 2 fridges, a sump pump and a lift station, and a couple light circuits what is on site is not big enough. I will track down the loads do a calculation and size one from there, but I would lean towards the 236, with the generator at least an 8-10kw.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If it is a portable unit they do not regulate well and all of your inductive loads (motors) will not function 100%. It is not just available watts to watts needed for the load. When power has been out for a while and you throw the load, everything will be on at once.

Stuff

Reaction score
Also - are you in the US or Canada? Those two Eaton panels you found show Canadian specs, not US.

ArcticTaco

Reaction score
In the US, I haven’t found any info on an EATON combo panel. Initially the system will be manually actuated. After some research and load calculations I will work on selecting a larger emergency generator and possibly go with an automatic switching system. Right now this is just some preliminary work.

Stuff

Reaction score
Maybe to keep your future options open buy a decent sized 100 amp main breaker panel along with a breaker interlock kit. Get a spare front cover so you can remove the interlock at a future date.

Also - are you certain that your panel is full? Lots of times tandems and quads can be swapped in. Check part number of panel or look at bus stabs for notches.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks