Thin Wall to Schedule 40 fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

A12548

Reaction score
Expanding a zone, and unfortunately, it needs to come off a thin wall 1" pipe. Replacing the thin wall line completely is currently not an option. The 1" thin wall can barely fit a 1/4" inside a Schedule 40 coupling. Is there an adapter coupling or any other solution to join the two?

Reach4

Reaction score
Expanding a zone, and unfortunately, it needs to come off a thin wall 1" pipe. Replacing the thin wall line completely is currently not an option. The 1" thin wall can barely fit a 1/4" inside a Schedule 40 coupling. Is there an adapter coupling or any other solution to join the two?
I presume this is PVC. I am not familiar with the pipe you are talking about.

A schedule 40 pipe does not fit far into a coupling either, until you use primer and glue.

I suggest that you measure the OD of the pipe that you are trying to connect to. If it is 1.315 OD, I would think you could use schedule 40 couplings.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score

HJ is correct. A picture would help but any pvc pipe regardless of schedule size will fit. What I think your reference of thin wall pipe is pvc with a pressure rating of 160 psi. You’ll see it printed on the pipe. Next up is schedule 20, then 40. On the thin wall pipe smooth down the end with a scrubbing pad. There probably is a burr on the end of the pipe snagging the fitting. Check inside the fitting that it is molded correctly. Once in a while you’ll get a bad one. You can put a little water on the fitting to act like a lubricant for a dry fit. Once you put glue on it it should slip on pretty easy. Use a little hammer or rubber mallet to tap the fitting on the pipe.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Use a mallet after you prime it and put glue. Bang on a piece of 2x4 not to damage the fitting.

I used to use a sledge hammer to connect sections of ABS for a main line, when I was young.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks