Thin set ooze advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Jason Kay

Reaction score
Any advice on how to keep thin set from oozing through the grout lines? I have quite a bit of dried thin set. I tried using an oscillating tool with diamond blade to chip it out but of course cause a chip in my tile. I’m using a 1/4” square notch trowel for 3X6 subway tile. Razor blade can’t seem to remove the areas where there’s a good amount in the grout lines.

I’d like to use a dark grout but I think it will show all the imperfections and now chips. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• C7E7595D-75DD-4254-BF98-0DDB0B4F1400.jpeg
    C7E7595D-75DD-4254-BF98-0DDB0B4F1400.jpeg
    25.1 KB · Views: 97

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's easiest if you try to clean the thinset out before it cures, and certainly within a day. Otherwise, it gets harder and harder as it cures.

What's behind the tile? If there's waterproofing, cleaning things is harder while preventing damage to waterproofing. If it's just a cement board with nothing on it, it's easier.

I've found that a utility knife generally can cut the fresh thinset if done within a day or so. Just after setting the tile, the corner of a trowel, or a putty knife is generally able to clean most of it out, or a wooden stick, maybe something like a tongue depressor.

Chips will likely show up when grouting, though. When using a dark grout on a white tile, they'll likely show a bit more than they would with a lighter grout.

Some grouts are better at color consistency and density than others, but yes, having thinset in the grout line can cause both the dark grout to appear lighter, and because it will absorb water at a different rate, that can cause the grout color to vary, too.

My go-to place for help with tiling is www.johnbridge.com.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is the reason that most installers use the same color thin set as their grout.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks