Thin gauge drain fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

Cjccmc

Reaction score
I was in H*me Dep*t this weekend looking for replacement fittings for the drain pipes under my bathroom sink. Probably been at least 10 years since I bought any and was very surprised at how thin and lightweight these are now. The original stuff in my 1980 built home is much thicker and more rigid.

Do the pros now work with this thinner stuff too or do you get better grade materials from plumbing supply shops?

Maybe there is an upside to using these if they flex more and prevent leaks due to misalignment. As long as it's just under the sink and easily accessible for replacement I guess it would be OK.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think those are polypropylene typically now, and I suspect the plastic was different then.

If the pipes are white, you can backlight them with a bright flashlight, and you can see the water level. I am not saying that was the purpose, but it can be useful at times.

I don't know if yours are white or black.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Twenty years ago I used to be able to buy tubular drain parts made of PVC at McClendon's Hardware in the Seattle area.
It was a thicker, stronger, more precisely molded product than the common polypropylene drain fittings sold
everywhere nowadays, and which are usually incorrectly referred to as PVC fittings. The joints could be assembled
as standard tubular slip-joints or glued together in the same manner as PVC DWV fittings are solvent-welded together.
The selection of those parts was rather limited then, and I haven't seen any such for many years now. Too bad, as it
was clearly a superior product.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks