Thicker wax rings without horns

Users who are viewing this thread

GBH

Reaction score
I've been noticing that the general opinion on this board is the wax rings with horns should be avoided. I have recently tiled a bathroom and the flange with 1/2" Oatey extender is about 1/16" above the tile surface. It was recommended here to use a thicker wax ring. Question, can one buy a thicker wax ring without the horn? I haven't found a thick wax ring w/o the horn. Does such a beast exist? Can I stack two of the regular ones? Should I just get the thicker wax ring with horn?

HD sells two thick wax rings. One is part of the Fluidmaster kit 35b. The other is sold by itself. The 35b ring is reinforced, the other is not. Both have horns.

Attachments

• wax_ring01.jpg
    wax_ring01.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 1,099
  • wax_ring02.jpg
    wax_ring02.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 987
Last edited:

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
big box =

There's your problem! Find a plumbing supply house. Worse comes to worse, double up the rings.

GBH

Reaction score
What are you saying?

Are you trying to tell me everything I could possibly need/want can't be found at HD? You know, I get tunnel vision sometimes with regard to the box stores. As if there is no other place to purchase supplies. I'll check out a plumbing supply house.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
The horned ring is to be avoided when the flange is sticking up too high, which would cause the wax to squish out, leaving only the plastic. Your flange is a bit too low, so you can use that extra thick horned ring IMNSHO.

BTW, I bought my favoritist plumbing tool at Home Depot.

Attachments

• plastic-nutbasinwrench.jpg
    plastic-nutbasinwrench.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 890

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
rings and tools

If the flange projects above the floor, a standard wax ring will be thick enough unless the bowl has a very deep recess. That tool is the economy version. Why didn't you get the one with "adapters" in each end to give even more utility?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
That tool is the economy version. Why didn't you get the one with "adapters" in each end to give even more utility?

I bought it years ago, perhaps before they had the adapters. It seems to fit all the plastic nuts I run into, ballcock and faucet, but I will look for the adapters.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks