Thermostats, 4500 or 5500 make a difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Bart

Reaction score
I have a 50 gallon dual element water heater, 5500 watt. I was having some burned out elements and replaced the thermostats with a tune-up kit from Menards, but then noticed that the kit is for 4500 watt units. I am again having problems and having to reset the thermostat. Is there a different thermostat for 5500 watt units and how can you tell on the product description? I am looking at thermostats online and they don't say what the watt rating is. Thanks.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The reset button is for overheating if the water gets to 150-170 degrees, not over current. So call tune up kits general include the 4500 heating elements with the thermostats. Was your just thermostats?

Last edited:

Bart

Reaction score
I will try turning the temp down. I have it in about the middle of the dial. However, when I hit the reset button this morning, it tripped the circuit breaker.

I had installed 5500 watt elements. Those elements did not come with the kit.

I had purchased the kit 2 years ago, not realizing that it did not match the water heater. I bought it for the elements as buying the kit was cheaper than buying the individual elements.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
You have a bad heating element if the breaker in the electric panel is tripping. You can install 4500 elements which is the industry standard. The thermostats are the same no matter what size the wattage is.

With an electric water heater and good water, 12-15 years old your on the fence, 15 years and older, replace the water heater.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks