Thermostatic Valve sticks out too far...

Users who are viewing this thread

diyqueen

Reaction score
Can anyone help? I was just about to grout my custom shower, and decided to check the trim fittings on my Thermostatic-Valve and diverter. Unfortunately, the valves sit too far out from the wall, and leaves about a 1" gap between the wall and the trim handle :( (the diverter gap is much smaller). The contractor did the install of the valve, but has been very uncooperative since we let him go (do to poor craftsmanship...who would have guessed?)

Is there any alternative to tearing out the tile, cement board...etc and resetting the valve? :confused: (I can't even go from the other side because the tub is there, and the tub surround is already tiled, grouted and cured) Is ther some kind of large gasket or washer that can be used to fill the gap?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think you are stuck...there are ways to extend the thing if it is in too far, but no the other way.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You could do some creative tiling and build up the 1' of space some how and finish with some sort of bull nose set up.

A thick piece of Corian maybe, extending out far enough to be pleasing to the eye with formed bull nose. Then set your trim on it.

You could also have it formed with a shelf to the left and right of it to hold shampoo bottles or what ever.

You need to think outside the box here. You want to make it look like it was planned this way.

You also might be able to make it look like it was done that way on purpose using the same or similar set up for the tub spout.

Use some contrasting tile / Corian maybe. Other than that you will have to reset the valve and spout.

Last edited:

diyqueen

Reaction score
Questions

Can you tile on top of tile, or would i have to remove the existing tile for the build-up?:confused:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I had a similar problem. I didn't really have any access behind. I had selected an external mount valve, so only the drop-ear el was in the wall. The wall ended up being a little thicker than I wanted. It wouldn't fit properly. The extension kit was a little too long. I ended up cutting some granite (I tiled the walls with granite) in a trim piece. Looks okay.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks