Thermostatic Valve Setup Help

Users who are viewing this thread

Kaveman42

Reaction score
Our plumber installed a Thermostatic Temp Control Valve for our custom shower which has three pressure valves controlling the showerhead, hand held shower, and rain shower. I noticed that from the Therm Valve he used both outlets. One was for the rain shower and the bottom for the showerhead and hand held. The website say's that the bottom valve is for a tub spout only. Is there a reason for not using the bottom valve when using pressure control valves? I understand if you use a divertor that the bottom valve can build pressure if using something that cannot handle the flow and cause it to flow from the other outlets. Should we ask him to cap the bottom outlet and reroute the pipes to the top outlet?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Don't think it will make much of any difference. It becomes a much bigger issue if you're using a tub mounted diverter, but with individual shutoffs, probably not an issue. FWIW, some thermostatic valves require a shutoff before it, not after it. If yours doesn't care, then it's a non-issue.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Thermostatic Valve Setup Help - California Water Conservation

Kaveman I'm helping a client in California that lives in Malibu Beach and he tells me that California has water conversation codes.

From what I understand you can only have one fixture on at a time. Your plumber might have rigged up your system to comply with this code. This is why it might differ from what is listed.

Can not be sure 100% but this might be a reason.

JW

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

If the valve is designed to be used with a "twin ell" for the diverter spout, then it makes no difference how he pipes it. If it was designed to just use a diverter spout, then the bottom opening has a greater flow rate than the top one.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
HJ I just looked at this PDF and it appears the system needs a flow valve(s) as well.

There is openings for Hot and Cold (Left and Right) and two outputs top and bottom.

I would suspect he needs this Thermostatic Control valve piped to a three way diverter to meet local code.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks