Thermostatic valve question

Users who are viewing this thread

Randall Herron

Reaction score
New member here,

Situation:
I’m completely renovating a bathroom in my house for use by a disabled individual. I’ve completed about half the work and came across an issue that I can’t find an answer for. Code requires, in this situation, that water temperature in this bathroom cannot exceed 110°F. My plan to control that was to install THIS thermostatic mixing valve, (already purchased). The old tub surround, 3 handle valve, has been removed and is being replaced with a walk-in shower, single handle valve, (not yet purchased).

Questions:
1. Will any modern single handle valves work behind the Honeywell valve without affecting the temperature at the shower?

2. Would it be better to control only the faucets with the Honeywell and keep the shower valve independent of the Honeywell valve?

3. Can I control the temperature to 110°F with the new single handle shower valves?

Thanks in advance for any advice given

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. It controls the hot water temperature so it will work with ANY valves connected to it, including the shower
2. Why?
3. Only if the high limit control is set properly, but will NOT be "perfect" at all times.

Randall Herron

Reaction score
Hi HJ,
Thanks for your answers.
For the why to #2. Just thinking that if one would affect the other it may be a more constant or reliable option to connect them that way.
So basically it sounds like the Honeywell will serve as the "master" valve controlling the temperature and any valves behind it will be a unaffected. That way I shouldn't have to fuss with trying to adjust the temperature at the shower valve...nice!

Thanks again

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF you limit the hot supply to 110-degrees with a separate tempering valve, make sure that if you use a pressure balanced shower valve, that you let the valve get to full hot, or, if you adjust it's stop in the summer, it will likely end up way too cool in the winter when set to max. My preference would be to use a thermostatically controlled shower valve, and, if required, a tempering valve at the sink. Most thermostatically controlled valves have a stop that prevents them from exceeding that 110-degrees, but, you can override it by (typically) pressing a button.

Randall Herron

Reaction score
Hi Jadnashua,
Thanks for your reply. That's exactly the reason for my #2 question above. After thinking more about it I believe that keeping the valves independent of one another is the best option. I wasn't aware that some of the shower valves had an "override" button. Do you know of any specific ones that offer that?
Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I have a Grohe valve...when adjusted properly, (if I remember correctly, it's been awhile), you can adjust the outlet temp up to 105-degrees, but if you push the button, it can continue to get hotter, up to nearly all hot. I don't think that that is unique to their valves, but I've not looked recently. It's similar to the limit stop on a pressure balanced valve in some ways, but you can override it without taking the thing apart. It's controlling the temperature by mixing in more or less cold, and isn't trying to keep the pressure balanced between hot and cold.

Randall Herron

Reaction score
That's good news because I plan to use this shower for myself a lot of the time and I like a nice hot shower sometimes, especially in the winter months. I'll shop around to find the right one for us.
Thank you both very much for your comments/advice. I'll let you know how things workout on this project.

Regards
RLH

Randall Herron

Reaction score
Okay, my setup is not working...here's where I'm at. All rough plumbing is complete to the point of testing. Currently I'm only checking the supplies to the vanity. The honeywell mixing valve I have in place is a R-AM-101C-US-1 plumbed 3/4" w/ a check valve on cold line just before the valve. Cold side seems fine but the hot fluctuates from hot to cool...like from 112 to 85 F. Everything seens to be correct, I don't understand the results I'm getting. Is the valve the wrong one for what I'm trying to do or have I missed something. I'm running out of time on this

Randall Herron

Reaction score
It seems like the valve I have in place is intended for use at the hot water tank...for a whole house application. If that's correct what valve should be used to isolate the fixtures in this single bathroom?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks