Thermostatic shower valve - reversed hot/cold

Users who are viewing this thread

msfitzjd

Reaction score
As part of shower remodel, new supply lines were run to change location of shower valve. We were not aware that hot and cold lines were reversed.

Fusion Hardware brand thermostatic shower valve was installed and does not mix hot and cold water; it is either all hot or all cold. Fusion has sent replalcement cartridge and check stop valves but same problem. Our plumber says it should not matter that hot and cold lines were reversed.

Would appreciate any input before going back to Fusion with same complaint. If we switch to a pressure balance valve will the reversed lines still be an issue? From this forum, I understand that type of valve can be rotated.

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some, not all, valves can work with the supplies reversed. If yours can't, the only fix is to redo the pipes so the supply lines go where they were designed.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Some manufacturers make reverse cartridges. I'd check on that before I'd redo any piping.

msfitzjd

Reaction score
Calling them today. Just didn't want manufacturer to automatically blame faulty plumbing for the problem since our contractor felt that the reversed lines shouldn't have affected the mix.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your contractor is clueless...the instructions on any I've looked at (admittedly not a lot) all are explicit about which side is hot and which is cold. IF they can be switched, it will also explicitly state what needs to be done to do that.

My guess is he never looked at the instructions. This only works someo of the time, and even then, the manufacturer sometimes makes changes, negating anything learned from previous installs...ALWAYS read the instructions.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

The design of the valve and cartridge determine whether it can be reversed. When the temperature drops below the setting, it tries to increase the hot water flow, but if that is acutally the cold water side, all it does is make the water colder so it tries even harder to add hot water. Therefore, saying "it doesn't make any difference if they are reversed", means that the plumber is either not a plumber or he is a very poor one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks