thermostatic shower valve question

Users who are viewing this thread

MP5SDA3

Reaction score
So I got my brand new thermostatic valve, diverter and test valve set up going. When I turn on the volume control lever I get good flow from the hot side for a few seconds, then it slows to a drip. When I override the anti scald feature it does not seem to help at all. Am I doing something wrong here? The water temp on my tankless heater is set to 112 degrees so I am thinking that it should be good to go. Also cold flow just fine.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I hope some guys with great tankless experience can help us here. My suspicion is that a thermostatic valve may "fight" with the temp control on the tankless. You could also call the tankless manufacturer and see what they recommend.

I seem to recall that there can be issues with pressure balanced valves with tankless, and the thermostatic may also be a problem.

MP5SDA3

Reaction score
Jimbo,

Funny you should say that because I wondered about that. The tankless HW heater has been both a blessing and a curse to me. All the things they don't tell you about it's limitations for example. I had a big fight with it and the pressure balancing shower and faucet valves which are single handle types when I installed it several months ago. The problem is IMHO, that the WH is just too smart sometimes...

Thanks for the feedback!

Happy New Year!

MP5SD

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
The only possible relation to the tankless would be that they now come with flow restriction devices that slow down the flow when it can't keep the water hot enough at the set temperature (112 in your case).
This really shouldn't be a problem unless it's slowing it down due to overheating above 112 (haven't heard this being an issue before, but don't know what model tankless you have).
I might try turning up the temp on the tankless and modifying the anti-scald at the shower, 112 is max temp for a shower, but you really want 120-130 for the Kitchen and lav.
Ten to one, this is a problem with the valve...relative question is how well do other fixtures flow on the hot..while the shower is both running and not?

Last edited:

MP5SDA3

Reaction score
Good points thanks!

The HW is a Bosch 2400 LP model. It has been in service for 6 months. Flow and temp to other taps is great, but have not tested with the rough in and another tap yet, (will do so now). Temp setting at the heater is 114, since the shower valve is the only mod I have made to date, I am suspisious about it first. I have tried adjusting the temp control on the valve unit but that does not help. More to follow, thanks for your feedback!

MP5SD

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks