Thermostatic Mixing Valve Help

Users who are viewing this thread

Victor G

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Glad to be accepted into the forum, your guys' knowledge is awesome!

I am experiencing issues with a Honeywell AM-1 Mixing Valve that I had professionally installed about 2 years ago. It's starting to sporadically allow un-tempered 150F water to taps (I have a summer-winter hookup oil heater for baseboard heating.) The valve is set to 120F, which has been working perfectly until recently. This issue is intermittent it seems, as it sometimes feels like it starts hot then the mixing kicks in again knocking it back down to temperate.

I suspected lime-scale or other such grit, so I followed the installation instructions for cleaning: https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/manuals/1294690346238/43638_PROD_FILE.pdf
I managed to take off the top assembly without too much trouble, but now the lower assembly is seemingly pretty stuck in there as shown in the first image.
I am stuck at removing the lower assembly, it's pretty tight in there and I don't want to break anything. I tried gently pulling on the grey plastic housing, labeled 1 on the second picture, with a needle nose pliers (not much room in there) but no luck. I then tried gently pulling on the protruding little metal rod, numbered 2 in the pic, and it just slid right out of the lower assembly. I did notice that the black rubber around it is almost completely disintegrating in my hand, maybe some of this stuff is sticking in the valve and preventing proper operation?

Any help in figuring out how to remove this lower assembly for cleaning / replacing with a repair kit would be immensely appreciated.

Do I have to perhaps remove the whole mixing valve from the piping? This is where I will demonstrate my complete inexperience - this is a union sweat valve, can the large nuts be unthreaded to remove the whole valve for complete replacement if necessary or is it permanently sweated in place? I did try to undo the nuts with a moderate amount of force with two large adjustable wrenches, but they didn't seem to budge, I did not want to force the issue.

Thanks in advance,
Victor
KTp1_J0JkpFtMTSlkmF8EPSL_1XniIYYhpPP4Qa0X-uI317ZVT8TDOgNSWELwnWFRTsZpB6yY1iE5nHAbdAPKJz8_J5JzOHoZ7V9PJJ_9zFiA3MEtekoXCf4AVj01bRuBeofvKF0xtu5hUfDDn87dqXya-GmSwDBZw6rH2x68xT9tNcrQ9eKSfo8EmKxS4U3IyIDG3f57YQcPjAR_kI_2qF6MMQvZHOYv0Lb25USIBwKbx8q1VljmalwO4Z-GOac_xYxuRQ3lb8Z1kOHfyKQBmIbdD2c4XAggDwpbHgZyQk03CsY_ZlNniepVeabXd8ZddJ2ITinrXWu7ZoP_lki3khHiMVupANCgLG9A_MevctTRbWBxd2TGS8dPPykGvotSCnXMeIpMGfxJXsL9GDSgGcFFdzTSQ8STm0DqUIRTKZX-Jry1mDE0NsJnUqoc2NxIqkFR4A7jc8kcH2jI8F7Q29WWTaHc25Gcs47bdv8l-CmRbGlEC1GK-l_UWdo53FH0tf1wW-K1o3g5yAiryIZt-aJd1GACDweFFRPuwap2u-nUqIi4i66JqhLT4-hNAQJ2NW0FYvNkxJbmK_J5kROmc1xE1yvkzA-gTGSaxBuHXzYGDRW2rglZH5buak4hzwDsm5dvJE0L6xZR2oZOcuXlU719X2wyzQc4lCkqU2BinZfmRBJd0-7no-GIvaYfWw=w678-h903-no

ACtC-3eHGt2FYI-LzSHjdgd9ycvpsDCIhi8LTt3qSc8FlaXuLU5-RmhovYYajFRHpGXeSFzoQlHzKUaPAEQEra4H_hro5NFmJvUTDUmiPRgkRSYDvqtvgaaBZFUa7opKu07tXeJM_opjuF20vCSMrbu04eWJIg=w678-h903-no

ACtC-3dRI8YYPozuUyRkr8KqxlvZZ9pa2WRxBIQdJLbjJs3YVJWSOP4p2wEbxQ4mUrZisIpI8ipCs8c3teCdbdu-Aiy5OIfAwo8uTJp9DRCjHwV7wptFxqLHHR57MC35IlhxXBboKruyzqL22cFYqQ65eNis9A=w678-h903-no

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks