Thermostat with remote sensor

Users who are viewing this thread

fredgmeyer

Reaction score
Wondering if folks were aware of a thermostat that can be controlled via a remote sensor. I'm not really looking for (and actually trying to avoid) some of the "smarter" fully-networked HVAC systems with multiple zones, app-controlled functionality etc. Ideally, this would simply be a thermostat that communicates wirelessly with a remote sensor that could be placed in whichever room the user desires to be controlling the furnace at a particular time. Thanks in advance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I know the Nest thermostats can support remote sensors, and you can have more than one if I remember. While you can control them via an app, once setup, you don't need to.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wondering if folks were aware of a thermostat that can be controlled via a remote sensor. I'm not really looking for (and actually trying to avoid) some of the "smarter" fully-networked HVAC systems with multiple zones, app-controlled functionality etc. Ideally, this would simply be a thermostat that communicates wirelessly with a remote sensor that could be placed in whichever room the user desires to be controlling the furnace at a particular time. Thanks in advance.
Just a plain air thermostat?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Honeywell has had remote sensors for a long time. There are newer models that uses WiFi and programable to which remote sensor to utilized at certain times of the day.
TH8320R1003 Honeywell VisionPro Heat/Cool Digital Thermostat & Honeywell FBA C7189R1004 Wireless Indoor Sensor.

fredgmeyer

Reaction score
Thanks all - I ended up picking up a Honeywell T9. I wasn't aware that it could operate in simple tandem with a remote sensor. I took a quick look at the Nests, and figured I might likely have a protracted battle against Google's need to collect data on users. Not sure Honeywell won't ultimately be doing some of the same stuff, but at least they seem like they have less reach than Google.

Kulig

Reaction score
Nest 3rd gen thermostat is a mistake.. for example if u using heat pump and furnace and turn off furnace at the thermostat (never use it option) he will try to turn it on in the middle of the night… this thermostat doing what ever he wants doesn’t matter of what you setup because of this stupid learning algorithm that you cannot turn off…

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Nest 3rd gen thermostat is a mistake.. for example if u using heat pump and furnace and turn off furnace at the thermostat (never use it option) he will try to turn it on in the middle of the night… this thermostat doing what ever he wants doesn’t matter of what you setup because of this stupid learning algorithm that you cannot turn off…
The Nest can be set into a temperature hold mode, and then, it turns off all of the other programming, or it does have an off position.

Bannerman

Reaction score
I own an Ecobee unit which included 1 remote sensor with the main thermostat. Additional sensors may be further added if desired.

As the Ecobee remote sensors can detect when the room is occupied, each remote sensor maybe programmed to provide temperature data to the main control unit only while the room is occupied, or they may be programmed to provide temperature data full time regardless of occupancy.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks