Thermostat replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

jacobs102

Reaction score
I picked up a replacement thermostat from lowe's for my water heater, both the old and new are robertshaw stats, the old one is model r110rtsp and the new one is model r110ratspl. Didn't notice until I got it home that the new one has wires for a thermal switch while the old one does not (since there is not a thermal switch).

Also, the new one says its main burner pressure is 5" as opposed to 4" on the old one.

Is the difference in burner pressure an issue? Can I install a thermal switch?

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
The thermal switch they are talking about is for sealed combustion chambers. Usually the new gas control valves come with a jumper for that terminal so it can be used on an older heater.

jacobs102

Reaction score
It two wires, not a terminal. Do they get jumpered together?

What about the burner pressure (old was 4" new is 5"), is that an issue?

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
It shouldn't be an issue as long as your gas piping is properly sized which it should be able to provide enough gas for your new valve. One thing to ensure is the new gas control valve is for the type of gas you are suppling it. I have seen people by LP gas control valves when their home is on Natural gas.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Them wires are for a device that your heater is not equipped with or has a spot for, like I said the replacement valves I bought came with a jumper. So I would say it is a yes. You can call the 800 number for the water heater manufacture they do have technical support that can give you a more definite answer.

onealmr

Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It sounds like you have a FG water heater and have bought a BFG gas valve. I assume you have the conversion kit. On the door manifold, you'll see the white, round assembly with the 2 metal prongs. Remove the adapter piece nor will you use the 2-10" white wires. The conversion kit gives you a right-threaded t/couple and now you have a right-threaded g/valve. Just plug the t/couple straight into the g/valve and you're set.

Also, make sure you call Whirlpool to let them know you purchased a g/valve. They'll tell you how to get reimbursed for the part.

velojunkie

Reaction score
BFG / FG Control Valve

I also purchased a new thermostat for my Cesspool water heater with it's inherent design flaw. It's a BFG valve with two wires that I assume attach to a thermal switch on the door of the combustion chamber on "redesigned" models. My water heater is an FG model with no thermal switch. I installed the new thermostat and jumped the wires to complete the circuit. The unit seems to be working fine and after 2 days of cold showers, we have hot water once again.
My question: have I bypassed a safety feature and is it safe to operate the WH with this setup or do I need to do something different??
(the conversion kit from Whirlpool is being shipped to me, but I felt a week of cold showers a bit much.)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks