Thermasol steam unit

Users who are viewing this thread

Birdman

Reaction score
Not sure If this is the right forumfor this so apologize in advance. I am building a new house and the shower in the master is 5x5 with a 9 foot ceiling and tile on the wall. Based on the calcs on many of the web sites which sugget you upsize one unit, the steam unit generator I should be getting should be 350 sq feet. The plumbing supplier we are using suggested a Thermasol unit. Turns out the amperage rating of the 350 is about 56 amps whereas the amperage rating of the comparably sized Mr Steam unit is only about 36 (Saunacore, another brand is also only about 35 for the same sized unit). I guess my question is whether anyone has any thoughts as to the quality difference between Thermasol and Mr Steam for a home shower steam generator, but possibly more importantly, whether anyone can suggest why the amperage rating is so different and whether using a steam shower generator that uses 56 amps (when the entire house is only 200 amp service) might be a problem.
Thanx in advance.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It's all about the kilowatts.! I looked at spec sheets for various Thermasol and MrSteam units. Looks about the same to me. I saw some MrSteam units calling for 49+ amps. So the comparison between any of the units is of course the approximate room size, but also the amount of steam and how fast it steams up. Thermasol advertizes "steam in seconds,not minutes"

So to make your choice, you need to line up the detail spec sheets for the various models and compare features.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The higher the amperage, the bigger the heating elements and the faster the steam will be generated. There will also be a corresponding difference in cost and wire size to it. For the amount of time the unit will actually be on, the size of the house service is probably adequate

Birdman

Reaction score
Thanx for the input. Based on the measurements, most of the sites seem to suggest a unit that can run about 350 sq feet. For Thermasol, that would be the SSA-395. It is 12 KW and max. amperage of 55 amps. The comparable Mr Steam unit is the MS400E which is 9 KW and 38 amps.
I also looked at Saunacore, and their steam generating units seem to be closer in spec. to the Mr. Steam.
I am happy to go with the Thermasol, and the plumbing supply place that I am dealing with in Toronto can give me very good prices on Thermasol units. I am just wondering (i) why the KW and amperage is so much higher on the Thermasol, but as I noted in my earlier post (ii) my real concern is whether I am asking for trouble if the steam generator needs 55 KW on a 200 amp service house!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Since the spec sheets do not give further information, this is really a marketing question which you should address to thermasol. They seem to empahsize "quick steam" in the brochure, and if they in fact deliver steam in seconds compared to minutes for other brands, there is your answer.

I would have an electrician look at you house to see if the panel will support and additional 40 to 55 amp load.

To-Reno-Gal

Reaction score
Hey there Birdman325, I am in Toronto and thinking of a DIY job using ThemaSol for a steam bath/shower reno. Wanted to know who you bought yours from? And how did the reno job go? Any advice you can offer would be great! Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks