Thermal expansion tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Blindog

Tim Bailey
Reaction score
Must the TET go on the cold side of hot water tank. I have much more room on hot side.

Reach4

Reaction score
Typically it goes on the cold. I think it wold work fine on the hot. http://www.amtrol.com/media/documents/thermxtrol/MC4090_01_16_ThermXtrol_Brochure.pdf says it can take up to 200 degrees F. Also look at the sizing chart on that link. Therm-X-Trol is a top brand.

You could locate the unit elsewhere on the cold too. I don't think it needs to be downstream of the shutoff for the WH supply. Somebody may tell you otherwise. Let him cite.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Potable ET usually (there are exceptions) not rated for use on hot water. You can find some that are. They do not last as long on hot water verses the cold side.

You do not want a shutoff valve between the WH and the ET. Close the valve, and it can't do its job, which sort of defeats the purpose of installing one in the first place.

Blindog

Tim Bailey
Reaction score
Another case of human not reading instructions. Without looking I plumbed the TET into the hot side. I just undid my bad and plumbed it into the cold side, no valve going to the tank. I bench tested and all checked good, tomorrow I'll attach the board to the wall an attempt to tie in all into the branches. I cut a saddle into a 2"x6" attached it to the plywood then pulled a Zip Tie around it the tank. Thanks for sticking with me.
Expansion tank.JPG

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what you mean about how you are supporting the expansion tank?
It's really important that it be well supported in the event that it gets waterlogged - which it eventually will. It will weigh a lot then.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I would add that I would personally be concerned about using a zip tie to hold the expansion tank. I'd support it from below, or suspend it from above.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks